Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Change engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorance66
one thing is for sure.....it might not be any worry "today" but oil will just plain eat rubber like its milk duds. Get yourself a can of spray brake cleaner or electrical cleaner and spray that mount really good to try to rinse away as much oil as you can and just be careful in the future. Oil is sooooo bad on motor mounts.
+1 VERY IMPORTANT I use brakekleen or simple green to clean that front mount rubber piece. Rinse well with water.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:58 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

one thing is for sure.....it might not be any worry "today" but oil will just plain eat rubber like its milk duds. Get yourself a can of spray brake cleaner or electrical cleaner and spray that mount really good to try to rinse away as much oil as you can and just be careful in the future. Oil is sooooo bad on motor mounts.
Yeah I'm gonna have to call BS on this. Rubber is exposed to oil all the time. Rubber gaskets, o-rings, seals, hoses, etc. Spraying it with brake cleaner will do more harm than a little oil. Just wash it off with some soap and water.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jstreet0204
Yeah I'm gonna have to call BS on this. Rubber is exposed to oil all the time. Rubber gaskets, o-rings, seals, hoses, etc. Spraying it with brake cleaner will do more harm than a little oil. Just wash it off with some soap and water.
call BS?? I am an ASE certified auto tech with 20 years experience and believe me I can tell you what ruins motor mounts. I won't lose any sleep if you don't believe me, I could care less but I am slightly offended by you calling my comment "BS"......far from it sir.....I suppose you can learn the same way I did.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master

call BS?? I am an ASE certified auto tech with 20 years experience and believe me I can tell you what ruins motor mounts. I won't lose any sleep if you don't believe me, I could care less but I am slightly offended by you calling my comment "BS"......far from it sir.....I suppose you can learn the same way I did.
No need to take offense, but I've been turning wrenches just as long. Use a little logic here. Valve seals, always soaked in oil, rubber. Even if the oil degrades the the bond between the metal and the rubber overtime, your gonna reccommend using a solvent to clean it off?
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Lorance66
Road Master

No need to take offense, but I've been turning wrenches just as long. Use a little logic here. Valve seals, always soaked in oil, rubber. Even if the oil degrades the the bond between the metal and the rubber overtime, your gonna reccommend using a solvent to clean it off?
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
there is more than one kind of rubber and they do not use motor mount rubber for valve seals. It does not much matter to me what method you use to get the oil off the mount. Most brake cleaner is composed of methanol, acetone, etc. which do not harm rubber. In fact it is recommended for cleaning brakes, areas with rubber parts like wheel cylinder seals and guide pin bushings because it does NOT harm them. Like I said the only thing I do not appreciate is the "BS" comment.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:24 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master

there is more than one kind of rubber and they do not use motor mount rubber for valve seals. It does not much matter to me what method you use to get the oil off the mount. Most brake cleaner is composed of methanol, acetone, etc. which do not harm rubber. In fact it is recommended for cleaning brakes, areas with rubber parts like wheel cylinder seals and guide pin bushings because it does NOT harm them. Like I said the only thing I do not appreciate is the "BS" comment.
Well i apologize for the BS comment then. Again, we will have to agree to disagree on this one, but this it straight from the Brake-Kleen documentation. "NOTE: May damage plastic, rubber or painted surfaces."
http://adaseal.com/pdfs/526%20Brake%20Kleen.pdf

Last edited by jstreet0204; 03-11-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:54 AM
dynafan68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway, I think its not a bad idea to avoid the oil on that rubber mount part!
at least I can have a better sleep if I do so!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Lorance66
Road Master

Well i apologize for the BS comment then. Again, we will have to agree to disagree on this one, but this it straight from the Brake-Kleen documentation. "NOTE: May damage plastic, rubber or painted surfaces."
http://adaseal.com/pdfs/526%20Brake%20Kleen.pdf
okay your original argument is that oil does NOT harm rubber.....so now you are contradicting yourself. Besides your quote even uses the word MAY, which is just there so that some idiot using brake cleaner to clean styrofoam can't complain. But for anyone reading this thread here is a FACT, believe it or don't.....go ahead and soak your motor mount in oil and see for yourself, it WILL deteriorate. I have way too much experience and I have probably forgotten more about auto repair than you will ever know than to sit and listen to YOUR BS. Now I am more offended. So what is it?? Make up your mind, does oil harm rubber or doesn't it? My stance will not change because I have seen it A THOUSAND times with my own eyes.

Bottom line.....motor oil WILL destroy a mount and brake cleaner will NOT. Take it or leave it.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:49 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Amsoil in all three holes. It works perfect, easy to get, although a bit expensive. I've also spilled a bit of oil here and there on my motor mount, no issues thus far, and this is the first I've heard of this possibility of destruction, so I'll keep my eye on it. Someone suggested covering the filter with a plastic grocery or bread bag when you remove it, and that does work really well.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master

okay your original argument is that oil does NOT harm rubber.....so now you are contradicting yourself. Besides your quote even uses the word MAY, which is just there so that some idiot using brake cleaner to clean styrofoam can't complain. But for anyone reading this thread here is a FACT, believe it or don't.....go ahead and soak your motor mount in oil and see for yourself, it WILL deteriorate. I have way too much experience and I have probably forgotten more about auto repair than you will ever know than to sit and listen to YOUR BS. Now I am more offended. So what is it?? Make up your mind, does oil harm rubber or doesn't it? My stance will not change because I have seen it A THOUSAND times with my own eyes.

Bottom line.....motor oil WILL destroy a mount and brake cleaner will NOT. Take it or leave it.

Dude, get over yourself. I'm sorry that you are so offended that someone would question you logic, but the bottom line is that ASE certified or not, your logic is flawed. If you are worried about deteriation of your ruber motor mounts don't use a product that the manufacturer says may damage rubber to clean off what you think might deteriate it.

Quick Reply: How to Change engine oil?