Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up a windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Picked up a windshield

I am not really sure why but bought my 3rd windshield for my bike. Got it used for cheap so figured I give it a try, this one is a Memphis Shades. I have sold the last 2 because I preferred my full face with no shield over the shields.

I would only like one for long trips. I prefer no shield for 2 to 300 mile days but one that doesnt rattle your brain would be nice for those 4 to 500 mile mutiple days in a row trips. Have a 3 day tripped planned in may so thought I would give it another shot.

If looking for a shield watch the classifieds, I will probally have one for sale soon LOL

Old 03-09-2010, 07:12 AM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever try a windvest? I did a lot of experimenting, and found that a windvest with a Cee Bailey's 9in summer shield was the hot ticket. Everything else I tried (HD quick disconnect with sport shield, swapped out shield for 21 in, etc) created a lot of turbulence no matter what else I tried. Then I tried a 16 in windvest, and it did a better job (only a little turbulence) and then I tried the windvest with a 9 inch shield and it was perfect. I also wear a full face on longer trips, so what the windvest does is keep the wind off my chest and provide uninterrupted airflow to my helmet. (no turbulence)

Old 03-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windshields must be harder to design than they look. I just traded in a BMW for a Dyna and I had a total of 4 windshields. I sold one and 3 went with the bike. I took the Harley dealer a whole box full of them. Like you, I found no windshield was the best. I tried the compact detachable on the Dyna but there was too much buffeting. Now he has the "barn door" model on order. At least he's letting me test ride them before buying.

My theory is a really good windshield needs a compound curve to guide the air without swirling it up into big eddys that whap you on the helmet from alternate sides.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by doublenaughtspy
Did you ever try a windvest? I did a lot of experimenting, and found that a windvest with a Cee Bailey's 9in summer shield was the hot ticket.
LOL, yes he did - then he sold it to me along with the Cee Bailey's summer shield you mentioned. I haven't tried the Cee Bailey's shield yet because I like the smoked look and the performance of the Windvest shield just fine. I've been getting a lot of compliments and questions, both in person and in pm's on this forum, about the shield. And it's really starting to grow on me. I thought I'd take it off as soon as the weather gets hot, and I still may, but I might just leave it on. I absolutely hated my HD QD windshield. It got the job done but I never put it on my bike unless it was absolutely necessary. The windvests and memphis shades type shields look much more suited to the dyna's than the HD shields though. Some complain of buffeting but I like the way mine performs.

bberck, with those new bars, you'd probably like the windvest much better than you did before because you have more room to adjust up and down. Although, with the roll of the Carlini sweeps risers, you might have trouble getting the angle just right.

Last edited by 2007fxdc; 03-09-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

My first shield was a HD quick detach, after cutting it down a little I had it set pretty good with minimal buffeting. When I lowered the rear of my bike and changed seats the buffeting became terrible. Never could get it adjusted good again so I sold it.

Like 2007FXDC said I then picked up a Windvest that connected to T-Bars. On the bar set-up I had I only had about a inch of adjustment. I had it better than the HD shield but wasnt any better than no shield and my full face. I got it at a good price so i was able to get my money back out of it so I sold it to 2007 FXDC.

Probally wouldnt have tried another shield but got this one cheap enough I can get my money back out of as well if I dont like it. Like I said it will only be on the bike a couple times a year. I dont mind wearing the full face on long trips with no shield except for when it gets really hot. I have a drivers backrest so it helps with the wind push against the chest but if I can make a 3 day 1300 mile trip more enjoyable I will give the new one a try.

Last edited by bberck; 03-09-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

Ok Ive said it before but I have given up on a windshield for trips LOL

Still just prefer my full face with no shield.

Shield for sale in the classifieds.