Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil flush/change

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Patch
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil flush/change

I have heard riders talk about getting ALL the oil out during an oil change, something about putting a hose somewhere (wow that sounds bad) to get ALL of the engine oil out during an oil change.

Was this softtails models with the remote oil tank...or id this also DynaSuperGlides?????

Old 07-30-2006, 10:03 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Engine oil flush/change

my opinion. never use a product to flush a engine... only oil . nothing else.i usually let my bike drain for a couple hours to get the old oil out. many peoiple drain with engine hot. i belive you get a better drain with the engine cold. all the oil has thus drained from the upper end. just my opinion here . i am no master wrench .

Old 07-30-2006, 10:21 PM
2_dogs
Advanced

Patch:

The Dyna service manual states in the first of many steps:

1) Ride motorcycle until engine is warmed up to normal operating temprature.
2) Unscrew and remove engine oil filler cap with attached dipstick.
3) Remove the engine oil drain plug with O-ring. Allow oil to drain into a suitable container.

And of course: FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY. OK, I added that last part myself. Anyhow, no mention of any "extra" steps of getting the oil drained.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:57 PM
budwfo
Road Captain

I let it drain for a while as well,,,if H-D wanted you to flush it , they would definately let you know..

Old 07-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Budds
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well if you really want to get all the old oil you can out of your scoot when changing the oil, check this out......

http://www.roguechopper.com/product-tca.html

The guy who used to maintain my bike used one when he changed my oil, and I gotta tell ya it made a Big difference in the color of the oil after a change.
Using this simple device had my oil looking show-room New after a change.
I have changed my oil 1/2 a dozen times now without it, and there is ALWAYS a dark tint to it.

Dont put your sole trust and faith in what the MoCo does, or does not say.......
They have made their own share of mistakes, and are slow to point them out unless pushed hard sometimes.
It dont take a rocket scientist to know that old dirty oil is NOT good for your Motor..... If you can clean it better, why would'nt you ?

Anyways.............

Budds.................

Old 07-31-2006, 06:45 PM
soup48
Road Captain

Just do what voyager1 said warm the engine up and drain the oil and change the filter. Never use a hose ( water that is) to flush the system out, unless you really want to have trouble.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Patch
Tourer

Budds:

That's the one I was looking for thanks.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 AM
5701andbroke
Advanced

One thing that I never hear mentioned is filling the filter with fresh oil before installing it. If you don't, you will be pumping air through your motor until the oil filter fills up. I even pull my plug wires and crank the motor to get oil all through the oil passages before starting the motor. As for the oil cooler debate-installed a H-D cooler and temp reading dipstick before going to Dallas from Detroit a week and a half ago. The air temp was in the 100's and the oil in my bike never went over 211 degrees. Rode Det. to Texarkana in one stretch and got a room for the day. Rode straight through from Dallas to Detroit in 22 hours on the return. The weather was much cooler on the return.