Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Black Pipe Wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 PM
drfalken
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for Black Pipe Wrap?

I ordered the Accel branded pipe wrap in black but I was disappointed when i got it. It is sort of a medium gray. I am sending it back. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a few good "dark" black brands. I would like the 2" wide.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:30 PM
MLWilson
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lava wrap looks pretty dark; I used the regular Black wrap and spray painted it with stove paint before I installed the pipes. After the burn in it's a dark gray.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/p_lava_wrap.php

Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 PM
crsowa
Tourer

ThermoTec and DEI are good, most of them are a dark gray, you have to spray them with the High Temp Silicon spray after you wrap them and let them dry.... it's made for the wrap, made by the same companies... Get the black spray... darkens them right up.... they will turn gray again eventually.
Also, you don't even have to order them, they have all the stuff at Autozone and Advance Auto. Make sure to pick up some stainless steel zip ties also, to fasten them securely

Last edited by crsowa; 03-04-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:59 PM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup the wrap will turn color but as these guys brought up the spray does alot for it! Another thing to add is before you wrap the pipes soak the wrap in a bucket full of water for a few minutes...it gets messy but it's night & day compared to wrapping it dry!

Old 03-05-2010, 01:38 AM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are accell black wraped pipes, i just soaked and wrapped then painted with the DEI silicone high temp paint and keep some for touch up, pipes look as good 6 mnths later( second pic) I touch it up every other week or so, it hadn't been touched in a few weeks in this shot.

Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for Black Pipe Wrap?-sany0056.jpg   Suggestions for Black Pipe Wrap?-haha003.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 AM
fryejs
Intermediate

i have wrapped both my dyna and buell head pipes and i use sreamin' eagle on the buell and ebay special on the dyna but used the black silicone spray on both and sitting side by side you cant tell a difference. The trick is a tight wrap that you can really only get if you wrap wet (my opinion) and a second set of hands doesnt hurt either. wear gloves and put down a tarp cause this stuff gets messy. also another thing i used was stainless steal hose clamps (the ones with the screw tightener) these seemed to work alot better for me as i couldnt ever get the regular stainless zipties to work (i think im a little stupid when it comes to those). once everything is dry and painted and back on the bike, start it up outside cause its gona smoke like a frieght train!!! and smell like pancakes (yeah im wierd)?!?!?!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
ponch3640
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the spray to help color in the wrap..thats what i did

Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

Yea I spray my wraps with flame proof header paint (black) every six months or so. Real easy to mask and spray while on the bike. I used moose racing 2" black it seems like a good wrap but the original color faded real fast. the paint looks good and lasts a long time.