Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help installing front end.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:47 PM
drfalken
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help installing front end.

I am guessing this is a typo in the manual.
It says:
"....Secure with adjusting nut (5). Tighten the adjusting nut until there is noticeable shake or freeplay between the bearings and races. Fork stem must turn freely from side to side."

Shouldn't it say "until there is NO noticeable shake or freeplay..."

It would appear by the design of the adjusting nut you should hand tighten and if you leave "shake or freeplay" no matter how tight you make the Fork Stem Nut it would continue to have shake/freeplay.

for those of you who have done this job before how tight did you make the adjusting nut?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM
victoriouz
Cruiser

Yeah that doesn't seem right to me.... its not something you want shaking around on you down the road.

I'd treat it like spark plugs... get them snug, then quarter turn to half turn. Unlike spark plugs, a little Loctite would most def. be a good thing. Post pics Bro! Lets see how it turns out.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Think you're right ... it's a typo ... should say "no" ....

There's a 'fall away' test to be done that will indicate whether you've got it right ...

My manual is in my saddlebag being shipped X-country just now or I'd look it up for ya ....

You just replacing the stocker, or ya got a Wide Glide or FLST front end ...?

R/
'Chop

Old 03-04-2010, 08:59 PM
drfalken
Cruiser

just had the trees and lowers (and a bunch of other goodies) powdered. Got a lot of work to do. Still gotta paint the darn thing, put the new alternator in put my new tires on, new rear shocks, do a little wiring, wrap the pipes. Way too long a list.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 AM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

My manual reads correct stating "until no no freeplay." But, when I torqued the stem nut down it caused my front end to become tighter when moving from side to side. I got it all back together and no I'm worried about the "fall away." I may take it in to the stealer to make sure I got it right though.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I tightened mine up to the point of resistance in the bearings. You'll feel it be a touch too tight and the bearing no longer feel smooth as they did. Then I backed it off till it was smooth and there was no binding(maybe about 1/8-1/4 turn back). Then I torqued the stem nut and all is well. nice smooth action and it is a tight as you I can go without any binding. Never any clunk or problems. You can go through the hassle of a fall away test, but, as long as it is smooth, not binding, and there is no clunk, your good to go.

Last edited by rounder; 03-05-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the advice Rounder. I'll set mine up like that tomorrow. I rode a bit today and notice a clunk when I applied the brakes. I felt much different thank the clunk I had before I tore it down. Thanks again.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:14 PM
DeltaDog
Cruiser

I fought that damn fall away test for a couple of hours with no luck! Tried everything from no caliper, no clutch cable, no brake line, grips, nothitng but bars, etc.. and still couldnt get it with in spec.. close, but not to spec. I simply did pretty much as stated above. Tighten until resistance is felt, tighten another1/4 turn or until binding, then back it off until it is smooth and no clunk. I may still have mine a little on the tight side as it is wanting to lean off to the left when i take my hands of the bars when traveling down the road. When I powdered my tree, i didnt tape off the hole where the upper part of the adjuster nut seats in the tree, so as the powder wears in that area, i have to adjust it.

If anyone else has an opinion to why the bike wants to lean off to the left and no go straight when I take my hands off the bars, feel free to let me know. PM me please.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 PM
super05
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rounder
I tightened mine up to the point of resistance in the bearings. You'll feel it be a touch too tight and the bearing no longer feel smooth as they did. Then I backed it off till it was smooth and there was no binding(maybe about 1/8-1/4 turn back). Then I torqued the stem nut and all is well. nice smooth action and it is a tight as you I can go without any binding. Never any clunk or problems. You can go through the hassle of a fall away test, but, as long as it is smooth, not binding, and there is no clunk, your good to go.
I usually agree with rounder - and he's dead on once again.
I did my front end with a buddy who's a bus/truck/car mechanic. When it came time to tighten things up he cranked it until in was no longer smooth then he backed it off about 1/8 turn ..... I mentioned "fall away" - he said that we could do it as the manual suggested but it seemed unnecessary ... That was 3 years ago and it's still perfect.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:27 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I kind of did as rounder and super05 ... I merely mentioned the fall away as it is in the manual ....

I tried dickin around with it for a while and ended up saying screw it ... its good as is ....

Mine's worked like a champ for a couple of years / ~15k miles so far ....

R/
'Chop

Quick Reply: Need help installing front end.