Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you who have chopped off the rear taillight

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:52 AM
cjm8806
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you who have chopped off the rear taillight

I was wondering what you do with the rear turn signals now? The stock plugged into the rear tailight which is not there anymore. so what do you plug the turn signals into?

Also the wiring harness that goes along the rear fender and plugs into the rear tailight (or use too) what do you do with that?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:58 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cjm8806
I was wondering what you do with the rear turn signals now? The stock plugged into the rear tailight which is not there anymore. so what do you plug the turn signals into?

Also the wiring harness that goes along the rear fender and plugs into the rear tailight (or use too) what do you do with that?
I unplugged the harness that runs to the taillight back under the seat. I pulled the entire harness out from under the fender and cut the connector (one that connects under the seat) off leaving a couple inches of wire. I capped all the wires for the taillight. Then extended the turn signal wires so they would reach to under the seat. I sliced them into the connector under the seat and plugged it back in. Just use 3 wires off the connector 2 power and 1 ground.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Yldtang
Cruiser

I don't know if you can tell what I did. Kinda like bberck said.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Arv
Road Captain

Your explanation was ok but..
The result is you have what running through your indicators, break light and indicators, if so what you using for tail light?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Yldtang
Cruiser

Run/turn/brake module turns your signals into brake lights. Several different kinds out there that are plug-n-play and go under your seat.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:36 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya I have a run/turn/brake module under the seat so my blinkers are my run/taillights.

Since this coverts them before the rear harness you no longer have a need for the brake light wires than run to the back if you eliminate the taillight.

Mine is done similar to Yldtang but I ran mine above the rails on the inside for more clearance with my 180 rear.

This is just the run lights turned on, brake light is very bright.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
cjm8806
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Yldtang

I don't know if you can tell what I did. Kinda like bberck said.
Cool the pics helped out thanks

Old 03-05-2010, 01:09 PM
DeltaDog
Cruiser

I removed my front blinkers all together. When i did, I relocated them to the back, fabricated a bracket, and mounted the blinkers to the the lower shock mount. Ran the wires up the back side of the shocks, under the fender strut, and through the hole going into the underseat compartment.

from there, I used a hair pin to remove the brown wire (right flasher) and violet (left flasher) from the fender harness clip, and replaced it with the violet wires from the now new turn signals. Black wires went into the empty ground location on the same wire harnes fender connector under the seat as well. The fender harness connector is labeled in very small numbers 1-8.

4,5 and 8 are all ground locations. The blue wire (the original rear sigs only have 2 wires) I simply taped up. The blue wire is used for running lights. If I wanted the lights to stay on all the time, like they did when they were in the front, i would simply plug this wire up.

From there, I used the hair pin to disconnect the remaning wires of the fender harness, and removed my tail light. The only thing I used was the connector, so I could reinstall everything if ever need, and so i didnt have to cut any wires. The new side mount model A license plate bracket from road 6 customs was installed, and the wires were installed in the original brake/running light wire locations in the connector under the seat also.

You can do that same thing with your origanal rear turn sigs. Just remove the brown wire and violet wire from the harness connector, and run your wires directly from the turn signals to the connector under the seat.

If this all doesnt make sense I can send you my cell number

Good luck

Old 03-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Derv
Tourer

Originally Posted by Yldtang
Run/turn/brake module turns your signals into brake lights. Several different kinds out there that are plug-n-play and go under your seat.
This set up wouldn't pass our annual MOT test here in the UK, we have to have seperate turn signals and rear light / brake light. When I chopped my fender recently I replaced the original rear light with a small 'E' marked (legal) bullet light.

The problem of the wiring was overcome by chopping off all of the original plugs and re-wiring through single auto bullet connectors. When done the connectors where put in to a small petroleum jelly filled plastic box (to keep out moisture), this was bolted to the back of the license plate - which is now situated below the rear light rather than above it.

Derv

Old 03-05-2010, 03:00 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YLDTANG you did a nice job with those wires but if you get a 180 back tire you will likely have to run the wires between the struts and the fender or buy Harleys $50 "kit".Many dealers will refuse to mount the tire without the kit so after going round and round with them about this I just tell them I already have the kit. Once they see there's no wires under the fender they're fine with it. My last tire change I bought the tires online, took the wheels off the bike and took them to a local independent wrench and had them mounted and balanced.I saved about $100 but what a pain in the *** it was getting that back wheel back on.

Quick Reply: For those of you who have chopped off the rear taillight