Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ness Fairing Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010 | 09:34 PM
DukeRecondo
|
2nd Gear
Default Ness Fairing Paint

Yo, i ordered the ness fairing and it says it ships ready to paint. Im wanting to do this myself IOT save some bread..... anybody dealt with painting this thing yet? any techniques or brands of paint that work better than others? Bike is denim black so I'm thinking leaving the smoke lens part untouched and hitting the rest of it with paint. Appreciate any suggestions/help, later

Old 03-03-2010 | 10:48 PM
billylewis
Novice

Go to Walmart and get some plastic paint, yes the spray paint they use on plastic lawn furniture. I used it on mine and it is as close to enything else I have seen so far.

Old 03-03-2010 | 11:25 PM
dastick
Cruiser

Not to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if there is any reason not to paint one? I have a vivid black bike and the black it came with doesnt look too bad. Any harm in leaving it the way it is. I have never painted anything so if I dont need to I would rather not.

Old 03-03-2010 | 11:38 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

You can buy the paint here http://www.colorrite.com/ I bought some there to repaint my bike and it is a perfect match. I little on the $$ side but real good stuff.

Old 03-05-2010 | 12:40 AM
billylewis
Novice

No need to paint, just personal preference. If YOU like it the way it is then leave it. That is why it is your bike, so you can build it the way you want. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-05-2010 | 12:45 AM
SBJJC
Banned

Originally Posted by billylewis
No need to paint, just personal preference. If YOU like it the way it is then leave it. That is why it is your bike, so you can build it the way you want. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-05-2010 | 01:49 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

You can also go to your local automotive paint store and buy paint which matches your bike. Clean it, scuff it with a gray scuff pad & some scuffing compound, clean it, shoot a coat of sealer, base it, then clear.

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/me...d_plastic.html

Old 03-05-2010 | 07:57 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

on Harleys like the nightrod with an installed plastic headlight fairing, do they use a different paint than the rest of the bike for this piece? Will regular paint and a plastic primer work? If the fairing is already primed, will regular paint work fine? I have painted a few Plastic fairings on previous bikes, I just used good old duplicolor or krylon and never seemed to have a problem.

Duke, in another thread a member posted that he used duplicolor engine paint and it matched up perfect to the denim... he said no one can tell what he had painted vs the factory... the paint is duplicolor DE1634 low gloss black... It's engine enamel with ceramic.
Adrianvail used rattlecan on his nightrod fairing...he said it came out so good and held up great. It Actually motivated him to rattlecan the whole bike. I think he used a rustoleum paint.
1 can of paint and some 600 sandpaper...10 bucks.

Last edited by rounder; 03-05-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-05-2010 | 09:23 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rounder
on Harleys like the nightrod with an installed plastic headlight fairing, do they use a different paint than the rest of the bike for this piece? Will regular paint and a plastic primer work? If the fairing is already primed, will regular paint work fine? I have painted a few Plastic fairings on previous bikes, I just used good old duplicolor or krylon and never seemed to have a problem.
Same base and clear, different prep. They likely use an adhesion promoter on the plastic parts.

Old 03-05-2010 | 09:27 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Same base and clear, different prep. They likely use an adhesion promoter on the plastic parts.
OK I have seen adhesion promotor in the can. I will be doing a nightrod fairing myself along with my tins so I am just wondering if anything special is needed. I'll get some adhesion promotor and apply first then color I guess. I'm Doing a flat paint with no clear.

Quick Reply: Ness Fairing Paint