Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjusting shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:31 PM
speedkills
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting shifter?

is this an easy adjustment to make? i'm having to lift my heel to point my toes down to get under the shifter when upshifting. starting to get a little annoying, haha. looking at it, it appears i should be able to loosen the nut, adjust the shifter up and re-tighten. but before i loosen anything i figured i better ask if this is the correct way to do it... here is a pic to better explain what i'm getting at.

brian

Attached Thumbnails adjusting shifter?-dsc02638.jpg  
Old 03-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkills
is this an easy adjustment to make? i'm having to lift my heel to point my toes down to get under the shifter when upshifting. starting to get a little annoying, haha. looking at it, it appears i should be able to loosen the nut, adjust the shifter up and re-tighten. but before i loosen anything i figured i better ask if this is the correct way to do it... here is a pic to better explain what i'm getting at.

brian

You're just missing one step.

After you loosen and remove the nut (actually a bolt) you have to pull off the shifter, then replace it to the proper angle. It won't just rotate because of the splines on the shaft.

Might take a couple tries until you get it the way you want it, then replace the bolt and tighten.

Last edited by Sammi; 03-02-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:38 PM
mwigfield
1st Gear

you are correct all you have to is loosen the bolt and move it up or down. I learned this the hard way. I took off the shifter to replace the peg and realized I did not have to do that, so I have to readjust mine as well once the weather breaks.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mwigfield
you are correct all you have to is loosen the bolt and move it up or down. I learned this the hard way. I took off the shifter to replace the peg and realized I did not have to do that, so I have to readjust mine as well once the weather breaks.
You can't just loosen the bolt and rotate it up or down. Like sammi said you have to completely remove the bolt and pull the shifter completely off of the splined shaft and reinstall it in the position that best suits you. Sometimes you might even have to take a flat head screwdriver and open up the gap a little to get the shifter to slide off.

mwigfield, if you can just loosen the bolt and rotate the shifter on yours then you have bigger problems than just the shifter being at the wrong angle. You have some stripped splines.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 PM
speedkills
Advanced

rock on! thanks for the replies i'll give it a try tonight... completely removing the bolt and sliding the shifter off of course

thanks again!
brian

Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 PM
'09fxdb
Tourer

Damn...2010 Wide Glide looks good...lotta rake goin' on there..like the bars too..