Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repo mystery - FXD

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:08 PM
DC_Kutya
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repo mystery - FXD

Long story short I came into owning a 2004 FXD that was purchased from Classic Iron (Biker Bill) in Va. Classic Iron thought the bike was headed west but it ended up not being sent. They claimed to have serviced it. Only after picking it up did I find out it was a repo. They confirmed that of sorts - "fleet sale" from Eaglemark. I suspect that is what they sell a lot of since they have an Eaglemark POA on the premises to sign over the titles.

So after a sketchy start -

I was told to try different gas stations until I found one the bike ran well on. Turns out the engine hiccups every 5-10 minutes. Doesn't like coming off a closed throttle. At cruise it can also just stop for a second - bike jerks forward. My best guess is the carb is gummed up from siting for months (being sent around the US). Problem happens when the bike is hot. It will idle fine up to temperature.

When the engine is hot it can also have a ringing (like a bell) sound at idle - ear next to carb. Not sure if that is just parts ringing from the vibration - typical Harley - or if that is piston slap.

No signs of leaks or the bike being down. I haven't had it long enough to notice oil consumption but nothing obvious from the tail pipes.

Transmission shifts fine up. It takes downshifts almost to easy - will slide right down into 1st or 2nd.

Thoughts on stuff to look out for engine/transmission wise?

At some point I'll get it registered and up for an early 15k service absent there being some obvious reason not to keep it.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get some Marvel Mystery Oil and some Berryman's B-12 Chemtool fuel treatment. Get the B12 in the metal pour can, not the spray or the plastic pour can. Any auto parts store should have both.

Mix 2 oz of MMO with 2 oz of B-12 and add it to a full tank. Do that 3-4 tanks then run 3-4 tanks of straight gas. Re-do the mix if needed.

Can't tell you how big a difference this made in my 07 FXDB (just bought, no history, 6 k miles, EFI) AND my gf's 2000 FXDL carb (bought 6 mos. ago, no real history, but only 9k miles in 9 yrs!).

Both bikes showed an IMMEDIATE! (first tank) improvement in mileage and smoothness of the engine. 07 also starts easier. Just did the Ranger this weekend so I've only put 30-40 miles on this tank.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DC_Kutya
Only after picking it up did I find out it was a repo.
I got mine over 3 years ago and it was a repo. Had 3k miles on it and a great price - but no manual or extra key.

I was told to try different gas stations until I found one the bike ran well on.
Sounds like a load of crap to me. I've used just about every type of gas station out there and haven't noticed a difference. Everything here is 10% ethenol and still don't see a difference on a cross country trip.

Turns out the engine hiccups every 5-10 minutes. At cruise it can also just stop for a second - bike jerks forward.
Sounds very similar to a problem I had. I could hear a pfffffft through the air cleaner when it would hiccup. Ended up being a problem with the fuel pump. Installed a different assembly and the bike has never ran better.

Transmission shifts fine up. It takes downshifts almost to easy - will slide right down into 1st or 2nd. Thoughts on stuff to look out for engine/transmission wise?
No matter what I was told about the service - I'd change the engine/tranny/primary fluids before I did anything else. If my tranny lube is a little on the low side, I notice it shifts differently.

At some point I'll get an early 15k service
A good place in the northern VA area is here. They are great for tuning...
http://www.skipscycles.com/

Old 03-02-2010, 06:43 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 on what Baeseman said. Whatever that shop told you sounds like a load of BS. Strange though. You'd think they would offer to service it and make some cash instead of saying "go try different gas". Something smells here and I know it's not me. I showered yesterday. lol

I'd change all the fluids and pay attention for any metal coming out...and also check the color of the fluids. How recent did they claim to have serviced it and what was done?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Patsplace
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I call BS on the "Try different gas stations". All of the foregoing advice is good stuff. I'd get a Harley Mechanic to do a full tune and service before you go any further. Then you have a bench mark to start from, one that is real. Skips Cycle sounds like the real deal, 30 years experience takes 30 years to get.

Get it done by a pro and then you have a starting point. One that you put on it.

Pat

Old 03-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is good fuel and poor fuel. BP or Shell 93 octane is much better than some others,..... but I can't imagine poor fuel giving you the symptoms that you described. (except for the ping).

I would get that old gas out of there and test with a known good fuel "just for grins" since it is so easy and inexpensive to do.

Have the "known" good fuel in there (that's not old and stale),.... THEN proceed with your other troubleshooting.

The symptoms kind of sound like a tuning issue to me, possibly lean.

Either way, not a reason to not buy the bike.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,857 Likes on 2,554 Posts

If the bike is carbed and you said it was, the pfft sound be the the notorious carb "fart" caused by a lean condition mandated by the EPA. Could be stumbling at idle if the idle is set to low. Try the cleaning agents in the fuel maybe that might clean the fuel circuits. Also not closing the enrichener (choke) completely when the engine is warmed up can cause some goofy things too, one is fouling the plugs.