Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new thoughts on my paint job...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
emcclintock2
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Custom taillights and blinkers are nice also..easy to do since you have everything apart and are not worried about the paint at this level...Here is what I did with mine...i love it..it's LED which makes it way brighter as well..

Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If I were you I'd follow what some of these guys are doing with lace or other patterns. It would be subtle due to your color contrast, and original.

Click here.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:53 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always liked that thread. I Loooove lace paint and heavy flake!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:48 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

A mix of gloss & flat has gotten very popular over the past few years, and they look great. Gloss flames or other graphics on a flat base look cool.

When I am contemplating paint schemes, I just draw a couple of gas tank shapes on a piece of paper, copy that paper, and draw and color a bunch of ideas.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain

+1 on lace and heavy flake, but i dunno if it would be the right thing to do here - After reading through thread I still think scallop idea would be tight

Old 03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i think that geting a template of flames, lay that down, shoot paint pull up the masking super easy! to fill the uneven surfaces with the flames bring it to a striper and have him outline it or airburhs work done like the above. either way DOPE idea!

Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM
BullyDog
Cruiser

Awesome idea. would never have thought of doing that. I say get it done before th weather is too nice!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fixxr
Take all your idea's and lay them out in 1/4" tape if you like it great if not just pull off the tape and start over. You may want to do a custom tail light or move the plate,now is the time to weld the holes shut. You could get a spare fender if you want to save down time(E-Bay)
actually I plan on checking out the cost of having that done. Plate side mounted and run/brake/turn for the rear signals...smooth fender unchopped.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:07 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm guessing the gloss/flat look will involve a ridge between the two, as they cannot be cleared to be seamless. So I plan to figure masking the current gloss pattern, then sand and paint over the rest of the gloss to become flat black. Now what to do with the fenders and console, carry the scallop over into them or just have them full flat black?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
I'm guessing the gloss/flat look will involve a ridge between the two, as they cannot be cleared to be seamless. So I plan to figure masking the current gloss pattern, then sand and paint over the rest of the gloss to become flat black. Now what to do with the fenders and console, carry the scallop over into them or just have them full flat black?
carry the scallop onto the rear fender, there's enough tin there to carry it well.

leave the front fender and the console flat black for some nice contrast.

theres a dude in the softail forum with a tricked out night train that has a springer front end and orange scallops on gloss black paint...check out what he did because his bike looks a-f*cking-mazing. just can't think of his user name right now.

Quick Reply: new thoughts on my paint job...