Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the Pirelli Night Dragon 180 today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:59 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installed the Pirelli Night Dragon 180 today...

I bought the tire a couple of weeks ago and it was delivered Wednesday.
The size is 180/60/17
http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/tyres-...N/default.page

When I opened the box I was a bit disappointed that it didn't look any wider than the stock Dunlop. I measured it with a caliper to compare with the stocker and it's only about 4 - 5 mm wider. It is more round than the stock tire. With a cloth tape measure it does measure 180 mm but because it is round it isn't really any wider.

Since it wasn't any wider than stock the install went very easy with no clearance issues whatsoever.

I've only put a few miles on it but the initial impression is it is stickier on the curves than the old Dunlop. I tend to twist the wick when turning from one street to another and the rear would slide out from under me really bad with the Dunlop and the new Pirelli gripped and launched me with authority. Hopefully in the coming months I will enjoy a much stickier ride than I've been having.

I talked with the Drag Specialties Rep the other day and they are offering Pirelli tires at a 35% discount to their customers with one free tire for every five purchased.

What that means for the consumer is you should look for great deals on Pirelli tires from you local indy this month and if you don't see any sale prices remind them to take advantage of the supplier sale.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:20 PM
BIGDADI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-27-2010, 07:55 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain

Cool, thanks for the report and keep us posted on how it performs after a while. This is probably gonna be my next tire.

And yeah, where are the pics?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Bummer man, but at least it grips. Maybe you can look into doing an 18x5.5 wheel and get a true 180-200 back there.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Glydiator
Tourer

I just mounted a night dragon too, and was a little disappointed in the width/look of the tire too. I had scoured the web and also talked directly to the factory techs about the actual mounted width. I could find out nothing. They said they didn't have the specs which is total bull **** and just a way of hiding the fact that it's not truly 180mm wide.
They are getting money but they will lose my business now, as I won't purchase one again.

I don't think it will get the mileage of the other tires out there....according to what I hear.

Continental will likely be my next 180 tire...or as Vic mentioned getting a wider rear wheel and putting a 200 on there..but it won't be a Pirelli....and I know Metzeler is made by the same company so I'll probably go Avon for a 200.

Night dragon does seem to be better than stock though as far as grip and tracking.

Last edited by Glydiator; 03-01-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:20 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,330 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I'm real happy with the Night Dragon tires...if ya'll matched up the front tire with the Night Dragon there's a big improvement in steering/handling.
I've noticed the tires are a bit taller in profile than the Dunlops and added a bit more lean angle for the bike. I have less gap between the front tire and fender...by maybe 1/8" or 1/4".

I've only put a bit over 1700 miles with the tires, so I don't know how long they will last, but I'm diggin' the BIG improvement in steering/
feel and handling over the stock Dunlops.

If I can get 6K mi. out of tires, I'll buy 'em again.

JMHO of couse.

Last edited by SBRob; 03-01-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:05 PM
BIGDADI
Tourer
Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 PM
CincyRider
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doctor Nick Agrees...

Originally Posted by BIGDADI

Last edited by CincyRider; 03-01-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Glydiator: if someone ever comes up with a tire that gets both high mileage AND super grip, he's gonna be one rich sonovagun!

My rear Night Dragon will be here in a day or two and hopefully next time I have to stab the brake a little hard, I won't be going sideways because of it.
Dunflop sux. I hear the E3's are good tho.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:48 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SBRob
I'm real happy with the Night Dragon tires...if ya'll matched up the front tire with the Night Dragon there's a big improvement in steering/handling.
I've noticed the tires are a bit taller in profile than the Dunlops and added a bit more lean angle for the bike. I have less gap between the front tire and fender...by maybe 1/8" or 1/4".

I've only put a bit over 1700 miles with the tires, so I don't know how long they will last, but I'm diggin' the BIG improvement in steering/
feel and handling over the stock Dunlops.

If I can get 6K mi. out of tires, I'll buy 'em again.

JMHO of couse.
I'm running an Avon up front and been real happy with its performance. I'll probably run through two more rear tires before needing a new front. If the Pirelli lasts as long and the Dunflop I'll buy another one.

Today I got a chance to put it through the paces and was very impressed with the traction and as you noted, the increased lean angle possible thanks to the increased height of the tire.

Some of the curves I take at slower speed and spin the rear out on I actually pulled the front tire off the ground accelerating in the curve in second gear. In the past I had never been able to twist the wick wide open because the rear end was coming around long before the torque curve peaked. BIG GRINS were plentiful today, lol.

....and you fellows asking for pics: Imagine a tire...on the rear wheel of your motorcycle.....

Quick Reply: Installed the Pirelli Night Dragon 180 today...