Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

49mm STEERING DAMPER?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 03:10 PM
tscreener
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont get why you would need one what is its function, if the bike is set up correctly what would this part help.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:30 PM
BlacktopBuzzard
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not needed for the average bike/rider......pump up the HP where the front gets light at speed then certain "harmonics" (aka wobbles) can occur. I use one on my dragbike and my honky-tonk hotrod

Last edited by BlacktopBuzzard; 02-27-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: nervous rider
Old 02-27-2010, 04:47 PM
nyarltep
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tscreener
I dont get why you would need one what is its function, if the bike is set up correctly what would this part help.
I have bought a nice sidecar to attach to my Dyna. At 15 to 30 MPH some three wheels experience headshake or front end wobble. Many sidecar setups have steering dampers to reduce that.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:56 PM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy just about any size/style damper you want from McMaster-Carr. Get some clamps that fit your need and you're in business for much less than a "reasonable $200-250". Ingenuity over expense.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:08 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BlacktopBuzzard
Probably not needed for the average bike/rider......pump up the HP where the front gets light at speed then certain "harmonics" (aka wobbles) can occur. I use one on my dragbike and my honky-tonk hotrod.

Gee, thanks for the video of the guy dying on a motorcycle. Just what I needed. Yes he did die. I've seen it on tv where they discussed this guy at depth.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:21 PM
BlacktopBuzzard
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Gee, thanks for the video of the guy dying on a motorcycle. Just what I needed. Yes he did die. I've seen it on tv where they discussed this guy at depth.
SC Longhair........riding motorcycles is inherently dangerous.....me, you, and everybody that rides takes that same risk every time you let that clutch out.....I had no idea that guy checked out......if I did maybe I wouldn't posted it........if it bothers you I'll delete it........but the next time you ride your bike the risk won't be any less if I do......try not to worry so much.......when its your time its your time.........

Old 02-27-2010, 08:32 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm well aware of the dangers.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:37 PM
nyarltep
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
You can buy just about any size/style damper you want from McMaster-Carr. Get some clamps that fit your need and you're in business for much less than a "reasonable $200-250". Ingenuity over expense.
I see the dampers on catalog page 1185,Slam-Preventing Dampers with Ball-Joint Fittings. I am not sure if they are suitable for a motorcycle. They all look the same to me, but I am sure there are important differences. I would feel better getting one I know was sold for motorcycles. If I knew more about the mechanics or different styles and kinds of these devices I would try for something like the McMaster-Carr ones.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:22 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Putting "motorcycle" on the label doesn't change the fact that it's a damper. They all serve the same purpose. It's your money and your ***, do whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm just putting the info out there.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:30 PM
nyarltep
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
Putting "motorcycle" on the label doesn't change the fact that it's a damper. They all serve the same purpose. It's your money and your ***, do whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm just putting the info out there.
The fact that something is labeled "motorcycle" may mean that is was designed for that use. Quoting their site "As the piston rod is compressed, hydraulic fluid is forced through an internal opening, creating consistent speed throughout the stroke length."

Now I am not sure that I want a consistent speed throughout the stroke length. I want to be able to turn the forks slowly or maybe faster depending on the turn I'm taking or the speed I'm going. I have a feeling not all dampers are meant for automotive use. The large ones you see on screen doors to stop them from slamming. Would you use one of those? Screen door on the label doesn't change the fact that its a damper. It does however give you a clue as to its application.

Quick Reply: 49mm STEERING DAMPER?!?!?!?