Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gloss black..a love/hate affair

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Derv
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drnk_n_publick
If you like the gloss black, keep it. Stop worrying so much about swirl marks and ride the damn thing.
I'll go along with that. Bikes should be glossy - fact! Denim looks like poo IMO.

Apart from that, there is actually a good reason for leaving it glossy. Get a scratch or a nick in denim and it's gonna be a chore to get an invisible mend. Far easier on gloss - drop a bit of paint in to builld, then a rub with a fine cutting paste - job done. Not so easy with denim.

Derv

Old 02-26-2010, 09:44 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BohicaAZ
LOL Sorry. I swore I pasted the link :-)

http://stores.shopprimacarcare.com/-...dro/Detail.bok

You spray it on when the bike is still yet, and you wipe it off as you dry. TYhey make a bunch of other great products as well. I use the Hydro for the Wax. Mystique for the soap. Just makes everything look great!
HAHA thanks man.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:35 AM
panic_fan
Tourer

Originally Posted by chad peterson
Gloss covers look great against the flat tins...nice clean contrast! Flat on flat just don't do much, but some like that. You've seen my pics & you know of all my gloss powder on denim tins...take another look & refresh yourself!
I agree that contrast is key. Too much flat-on-flat or gloss-on-gloss, and everything washes out and looks like a pile of chewed gum....it has an interesting shape but it's all the same color.

Originally Posted by Derv
I'll go along with that. Bikes should be glossy - fact! Denim looks like poo IMO.

Apart from that, there is actually a good reason for leaving it glossy. Get a scratch or a nick in denim and it's gonna be a chore to get an invisible mend. Far easier on gloss - drop a bit of paint in to builld, then a rub with a fine cutting paste - job done. Not so easy with denim.

Derv
"Poo"...?!?!? Now that's a bit harsh.

But Derv is right, you can buff gloss finishes back to a showroom shine. Flat finishes are darn near impossible to restore. So the Moco came up with fancy marketing phrases like "weathered look", "distressed" and "shows it's age" to make it sound more appealing. It's been a challenge for me to live with the fact that my paint will never look brand new again...until I paint it again. Although next time I'm having it powdercoated in flat for more durability and less "weathering".

Gloss = swirls and polishing = easier chip repair
Flat = chips and scratches = easier cleaning

Old 02-26-2010, 04:02 PM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Derv
Does anyone else see any kind of resemblance with my denim paint & this picture? Or am I missing something?

Attached Thumbnails gloss black..a love/hate affair-img_3813.jpg  
Old 02-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Slopneck
Road Master

Originally Posted by chad peterson
Does anyone else see any kind of resemblance with my denim paint & this picture? Or am I missing something?
HAHA! Love it! Go Denim!

Old 02-26-2010, 04:11 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Chad, the quality of that photo is teetering on crappy.

(just couldn't resist) lol

Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Derv
Tourer

Originally Posted by panic_fan
I agree that contrast is key. Too much flat-on-flat or gloss-on-gloss, and everything washes out and looks like a pile of chewed gum....it has an interesting shape but it's all the same color.

"Poo"...?!?!? Now that's a bit harsh.

But Derv is right, you can buff gloss finishes back to a showroom shine. Flat finishes are darn near impossible to restore. So the Moco came up with fancy marketing phrases like "weathered look", "distressed" and "shows it's age" to make it sound more appealing. It's been a challenge for me to live with the fact that my paint will never look brand new again...until I paint it again. Although next time I'm having it powdercoated in flat for more durability and less "weathering".

Gloss = swirls and polishing = easier chip repair
Flat = chips and scratches = easier cleaning
Ha ha! The differences in the meanings of expressions used in different countries. Is this how world wars start? Here in the UK "poo" is a soft (pardon the pun) saying for something we think isn't quite as good as something else. Like when you go play squash and you lose, your mate will turn to you and maybe say, "you were poo tonight". It's not a downright insult or a derogatory remark to be taken personally. sorry if it caused any offence - Ill try and limit my "English-isms" to UK bike forums!

It's like when I first heard you guys describe a gorgeous looking bike as "Sick" - I spent ages wondering why anybody wouldn't like something so nice! The expression sick here is reserved for perverts, peadophiles and those with a twisted sense of humour.

Derv

Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ha ha! The differences in the meanings of expressions used in different countries. Is this how world wars start? Here in the UK "poo" is a soft (pardon the pun) saying for something we think isn't quite as good as something else. Like when you go play squash and you lose, your mate will turn to you and maybe say, "you were poo tonight". It's not a downright insult or a derogatory remark to be taken personally. sorry if it caused any offence - Ill try and limit my "English-isms" to UK bike forums!

It's like when I first heard you guys describe a gorgeous looking bike as "Sick" - I spent ages wondering why anybody wouldn't like something so nice! The expression sick here is reserved for perverts, peadophiles and those with a twisted sense of humour.

Derv
Poo here is the discription of what comes out of your butt in the morning. Usually it's soft, but it ain't a nice thing! LOL At least not in my toilet.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:31 PM
panic_fan
Tourer

Derv
Cheers Derv!

But what the F*** is squash? [In my best Yankee drawl] Ain't that a veg-it-able??

Old 02-26-2010, 07:46 PM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser

You can wash mine anytime!
Originally Posted by JRK5892
i could not deal with a bike i could not wax and clean, i am ****, drives my buddies nuts when i wash it before we go riding, but it carries my company name on it, so it is a reflection on me... i hate dirty bikes, have even gone so far to wash my buddies bike cause they are a mess... i love gloss black

Quick Reply: gloss black..a love/hate affair