Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gloss black..a love/hate affair

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bike looks great! Do you really remove the dash and wax after most rides? Makes me feel pretty guilty, I haven't done that in ten years.

Originally Posted by toastman
man i love my gloss black.

hit the bike with a quick detailer before taking it out to make it shine, and after most every ride i pull off the seat and the dash and wax the hell out of it.

+1 on whoever posted the meguiars swirl x...that **** takes swirl marks out like no other, really great stuff...

then i follow it up with meguiars tech wax which does a great job. i just picked up the turtle wax black box though and can't wait to go out and detail the bike using that, wana see how it is.

JRK i gotta pick up some of that wax u posted...any info on it? i love the wet look on the bike.

rounder don't paint your tins man...every bike needs love, gloss black ones just need a little more.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:24 AM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my denim tins...not sayin I don't like gloss, but I really dig the denim! Plenty of detailing on the rest of the bike to keep me busy! Like was mentioned the denim is very easily maintained with a soft rag & windex! No waxing or nothing, but gloss IS killer, always will be...there's no fad with gloss!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:37 AM
mikel61101
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use lemon pledge on my black pearl but I'd like to know more about Joes wax and the polish...

Old 02-25-2010, 12:18 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Bike looks great! Do you really remove the dash and wax after most rides? Makes me feel pretty guilty, I haven't done that in ten years.
yeah man i'm pretty **** about the way i maintain my rides. i actually find washing/waxing/polishing to be pretty therapeutic.

there's really nothing i hate more than doing a great detail and wax on the bike and then seeing around the edges of the dash all dried wax, so i don't pull the dash every time, but when i get home from a ride and have some time to kill, absolutely.

i dont have one of those looks good never ridden bikes either, i ride a lot. it always looks good because it's well maintained and whenever i'm on the road theres a fresh coat of wax or detail spray on it that keeps some crap off the paint.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Slopneck
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my first denim and I love the look, but there is no denying that a freshly cleaned and waxed gloss black bike looks sweet!!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:55 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick detailer or lemon pledge is fine. When you do have to go with a full wax ... I don't get the gripe. It's a flippin bike, not a Town Car. Tiny front fender, small rear fender, and a tank. Grab a beer and wax once every so often for 20 minutes instead of watching The Bachelor with your wife/gf/whatever

Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have any problems keeping my vivid black bike clean, unless I have to ride in the rain. And even a pink bike gets dirty if you ride in the rain.
Keep a mini dash duster in your garage so you can take a few seconds to knock the dust off if that's all it needs. If it's got a little grime on it, take a few more seconds to spray some detailer on it and wipe with a microfiber cloth. That's it.
You shouldn't have to wax a bike more than once or twice a year. If you are doing it more than that, and using a cleaning wax, all you are doing is stripping good paint off the sheetmetal.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:41 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rcaddell
Quick detailer or lemon pledge is fine. When you do have to go with a full wax ... I don't get the gripe. It's a flippin bike, not a Town Car. Tiny front fender, small rear fender, and a tank. Grab a beer and wax once every so often for 20 minutes instead of watching The Bachelor with your wife/gf/whatever
funny you should mention town car.... got one of them, and a navigator as well... both gloss black... I actually don't care about little swirl marks that appear in their paint...heck the paint is orange peel paint anyways.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
funny you should mention town car.... got one of them, and a navigator as well... both gloss black... I actually don't care about little swirl marks that appear in their paint...heck the paint is orange peel paint anyways.
Now THOSE you should paint flat!

I have an 08 F150 Crew cab. I don't ever plan on waxing it. Unless I am hiring someone else to do it. Hell, even my 95 Taurus SHO will likely get waxed by someone else, once a year, right before the All Ford Nationals. I'm lazy. Bikes get quick detailer enough to not be a problem.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:49 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

see my bikes black is as reflective as a mirror... I got the good stuff to keep it that way...I just hate having to keep up on it... The bike could be stellar after a nice wash and coat of Zaino... then the next day, just sitting in the garage I get to look at all that dust that accumulated overnight. Of course, gotta wipe clean with only special towels that do not put scratches in paint, and even then anything gets on the towel, like if it accidentally drops on the floor, bam... little swirl marks appear... the upkeep is driving me crazy!
I imagine what it is like to have a bike that does not show the dust 5 hrs. after a wash, does not need to wax, does not need any special towels or treatment...heck a bike that really hardly needs a wash, just a quick careless wipe down occasionally...a flat black bike! I doubt I will paint it... then again who knows.... I think about it a lot.

Quick Reply: gloss black..a love/hate affair