Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffles in stock mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Silver Bullet
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffles in stock mufflers

Yesterday while at work I was feeling brave and decided to punch a 3/8" hole in the center of my baffles on my '06 Super Glide for a little deeper exhaust note. At first I didn't think it sounded any different, but on the ride home, I immediately noticed that I seemed to have more torque, and wanted to rev faster. Then this morning when I started it a 4:30 for the 22 mile ride to work, I thought it was a little louder but wasn't sure. Just told my OL about it and she said she thought it was quieter and that it does'nt sound like a Harley anymore.... She thought it was one of the neighborhood kids metric when I pulled up in the driveway. That really hurt!

I really like the look of the stock exhaust, don't want more performance, (although more is always better), don't want to re-map, what is the answer besides installing the spare set of mufflers I bought in case this experiment went the wrong direction?

I know that someone besides myself has to like the look of the stock tapered mufflers... Anyone??

Dan

[IMG]local://upfiles/12715/3D21517830374A2A80CC8CF6FD4977FC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-27-2006, 11:07 PM
kaduku
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Baffles in stock mufflers

I also wanted to keep the stock tapered mufflers on my Bob, but I did wanted a louder sound, so I had to go to the next best thing in stock look, which was the baloney cut SE IIs. I could have gone with the tapered SEII, but I heard they weren't any louder than stock. I hear that the new 07 stock mufflers sound great, so find out if they can be fitted to your bike.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

There's a message somewhere in this forum where a guy changed the baffles on his stock pipes for $79.

I'm about ready to try the hole punch thing first also. Still bad?

Old 07-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Psycho
Road Master

3/8ths inch?? Try 3/4. I knocked the quarter sized center baffle completely out of mine over 3000 miles ago, with no problems. It's not lean, no backfiring, nothing. Runs great, plenty of power. I get a lot of compliments on the sound. Loud enough, but not too loud.

Try it. Stock pipes are cheap on ebay if you don't like it.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:08 AM
Silver Bullet
Intermediate

Psycho,
You did the 3/4" hole without a re-map and all still is OK? I did buy a spare set of mufflers just for this reason. Looking down the inside of the muffler, it looks just like any other glass pack....

Thanks guys!

Dan

Old 07-28-2006, 04:45 AM
WildBill76
Tourer

I tried that on a previous Harley, and lost some low end torque, but made it up higher up the RPM scale. Do you have any Dyno figures to share ? That way we can compare it to S.E. Slip-ons. I have Rhinehearts, but people with a tight budget, need the best bang for the buck. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:58 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the stock muffler, you can't see through it at all.

There is a deflector welded in the center.

Just take a long screwdriver and chisel around the deflector. If you work your way around it, you can basically cut it out.

I have a set of stockers with this done and think they sound decent if you are just looking for a little more.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:05 PM
rk1fxdwg
3rd Gear

ok everybody, here is my two cents worth I put cycle shack slip ons on my 06 dyna. They also make a slip-on that looks like a stock pipe if you want that look that has no baffles, the cost is about $125. I bought them through Dennis Kirk Harley. Now for the second part of this dead horse. I talked to a mechanic the other day at a bike shop that was trying to sell me a race tuner(generic) cant remember the brand name off of the top of my head. He looked at my bike he says that you dont need to remap or put a race tuner in the bike because of the oxygen sensors automatically make the computer remap so many times per second. He did say that the bikes are running hot straight from the factory. And that you would need to put the high flow air filter on. This gentleman was about 60 yrs old he has two harleys the last one being a 98 flxh dresser He has been dealing with harleys for a long time. He also told me that he has bought his last harley because of the fuel injection which i just think that is preference from old school. So take my advice and someone elses advice for what it is worth. Make your own decision. And by the way mine does not pop and crack seems to be running fine put about 1000 miles since i put them on

Old 07-28-2006, 07:47 PM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, I just want a confirmation.......you changed to cycle shack stock look alikes
with no baffle. requires no remap, that i can deal with. But the last part I'm unclear
on. I heard the bikes are hot off the floor to and was advised to add the SC A/C.
Now is this guy saying no remap is required after that even. Like I said, I would
like a confirmation on that......could save mucho bucks.

mikec

Old 07-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Psycho
Road Master

You need a remap, or a power commander. The computer can only adjust for very little. Knocking hole in center baffle of stock pipe? Sure, go ahead. True performance exhaust and high flow filter?? You better remap.

But hey, It's your bike. Burn it up if you want too. Post pics of the plugs after the end melts off. We'd all like to see it.

Quick Reply: Baffles in stock mufflers