Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffles in stock mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 07:59 PM
rk1fxdwg
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Baffles in stock mufflers

no you wouldnt need a remap according to him even with the new air filter as long as the oxygen sensors are in the pipes you will never have to remap as long as they are working properly they work just like oxygen sensors on a car if they are not working they will make it run like crap. I looked at my os they have wires that run directly to the computer on the bike

Old 07-28-2006, 08:02 PM
rk1fxdwg
3rd Gear

I did not buy the stock look alikes without baffles i bought the slash cuts i will have a pic up in acouple of days of the bike with them on it I figure the guy is not lieing for the simple reason he could have made 250.00 off of me and turned around and said i didnt need it He now sells titan motorcycles and is big into the souped up versions. I feel as though the man knows what he is talking about. But on the otherhand the harley rep says it will eventually burn a whole in the piston their kit is 350.00 You decide its your money I will probably have mine done next year just to be safe. But his tale is you dont need it as long as the os is working

Old 07-28-2006, 08:42 PM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know. I'm not expermenting on my bike. I guess
the old saying "if its to good to be true......." I'll just wait
and go the expensive way. At least the dealer will back
it up.

mikec

Old 07-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The O2 sensors DO NOT work like the ones in your car. The car system gathers / processes more info than this bike system does.

It will not make adjustments like a car can.

My friend who is a certified Power Commander tuner explained to me that the O2 sensors don't do very much. He went on to explain more about it, and that it only adjusts like 2 points of the whole fuel map, etc.

I have run slip-ons with no remapping and don't think it's a problem.

When you add a high flowing air intake, then you should look into mapping.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Silver Bullet
Intermediate

Well I went for it, took the mufflers off today and cut the baffle in the center of the muffler completely out. Not sure yet if I like the sound or not. definetly louder but not obnoxious. As it turns out, I have a major exhaust leak ahead of the front muffler and that might be diluting or changing the sound. Just like a couple of guys have said, no backfiring, surging or other ailments.

While removing the front muffler, I discovered that my front pipe, (just ahead of where the muffler clamps on, and in the center where the cross-over pipe is welded to the main pipe) is cracked/broken almost all the way around the circumference of the pipe. The reason that it hasn't fallen completely off is that the rear muffler and rear support bracket is holding it up.
Rode directly to my local dealer and showed them the broken pipe. I worried that they my harass me about the warranty but it was no problem at all. They had to order the pipe and I will be making a return trip to the dealer soon. The service advisor had me start it up, and thought that the mufflers sounded great, as did another employee. The service advisor then showed me a picture of some Screaming Eagle tapered pipes that I might like. When I asked about the sound, I got the impression that they wouldn't be much different than my zero cost experiment, maybe a little quieter.

After I have the front pipe replaced, I will be able to really tell if I like the sound or not...

Dan

Old 07-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rk1fxdwg

I did not buy the stock look alikes without baffles i bought the slash cuts i will have a pic up in acouple of days of the bike with them on it I figure the guy is not lieing for the simple reason he could have made 250.00 off of me and turned around and said i didnt need it He now sells titan motorcycles and is big into the souped up versions. I feel as though the man knows what he is talking about. But on the otherhand the harley rep says it will eventually burn a whole in the piston their kit is 350.00 You decide its your money I will probably have mine done next year just to be safe. But his tale is you dont need it as long as the os is working

Lying?? Surely not. Mistaken?? Definately.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:11 PM
briany232
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Psycho

3/8ths inch?? Try 3/4. I knocked the quarter sized center baffle completely out of mine over 3000 miles ago, with no problems. It's not lean, no backfiring, nothing. Runs great, plenty of power. I get a lot of compliments on the sound. Loud enough, but not too loud.

Try it. Stock pipes are cheap on ebay if you don't like it.
Yeah, stock pipes are cheap on ebay, or you could make me an offer for my stockers...

B
05 Super Glide
V&H Big Shots
PCIII
K&N Intake Kit

Old 07-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Johnny Bob
Novice

I felt the same way, in so much as leaving the bike stock "looking". The less is more syndrome. I agree.

But I didn't buy a Harley to remind me of my first bike, a 1976 CB 360T. That's what my Bob sounded like, stock.

Trust me. V&H Big Radius.

That's All.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:40 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well,... I actually like the clean and simple looks of the tapered mufflers on my 06 Superglide also, but I wanted it to sound like a Harley. I ordered a set of Dyno Power Tapered slipons from J&P and they look alot like the factory mufflers. They are just a little smaller in diameter and a little shorter in length, but they sound great and best of all,... I paid around $117 for them after S&H.

John

Name:  trip001.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  200.9 KB