Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SEII vs non-OEM slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 04:42 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh, and they WILL fit. They bolt right up without one ounce of trouble. I had them installed on my '07 WG. Loved them, actually.

It's a dark picture, but it shows them installed:

Old 02-24-2010, 04:49 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

I forgot I did this.... The 2nd half of the vid was shot around 7:30am after a 12hr shift which did not include my 90mile ride home. Don't miss those days at all, although I do miss having a job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9kug2sX0Is

Old 02-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
You're not going to find them listed on H-D because that is about the time they were discontinued because they are not EPA compliant mufflers.
SC, any idea what's different about the ones they now offer for 07+ bikes? If the old ones fell out of EPA compliance what did they have to do to get it back?

Thanks

Old 02-24-2010, 05:54 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Tad, the EPA became more stringent. That's why the new bikes run so lean, to comply with new EPA regulations.

The old style SEII mufflers do not meet those requirements. Harley stopped production of them and moved to the quieter, epa-compliant SE mufflers we now have.

It's horsecrap in my book. I'd bet it takes like 1,000 motorcycles to match a single automobile's carbon footprint.

You'll know you have an original SEII non-epa compiant muffler if it says "for off-road use only" on the back.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Tad, the EPA became more stringent. That's why the new bikes run so lean, to comply with new EPA regulations.

The old style SEII mufflers do not meet those requirements. Harley stopped production of them and moved to the quieter, epa-compliant SE mufflers we now have.

It's horsecrap in my book. I'd bet it takes like 1,000 motorcycles to match a single automobile's carbon footprint.

You'll know you have an original SEII non-epa compiant muffler if it says "for off-road use only" on the back.
Thanks but I'm not following. I thought the lean condition (which existed to some extent in earlier bikes as well) related to emissions. With a lean map and a restrictive air cleaner, you could most likely run the older pipes and not change your emissions at all.

If the new mufflers are quieter that would imply there are noise-related regs. I have seen some references to states and municipalities who, in an effort to combat loud pipes, write laws that require the EPA seal to be legal.

Doesn't HD still make "off road use only" parts, including mufflers? Haven't really checked since I'm neither a loud fan nor a racer but I thought many of the SE Race parts were off road only?

I do like the sound of those pipes in both the videos. I love the sound of my s/o's 2000 Lowrider which has stock pipes - deeper and throatier than the stock pipes on my 07 SB yet still quiet enough for my old, tinnitus-inflicted ears.

Thanks

Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 PM
fhansen
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Fred,

Here's a link to various SEII pipes from MoCo.

I could not find SEII or other exhausts for '06 models. This could be caused by the fact '06 was the first year Dyna models got injection?

Perhaps any one else could help to solve this mistery?
So, Rene, I've been following this thread and now I'm wondering, based on what Vic's been saying, if your mufflers are the older off-road style, #80258-99A, or the newer ones. Fred

Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the same SEII slip ons in this pic....sold them and got the SEII slash cuts as the ones in the pic are baloney cuts. The slash cuts direct the sound down at the road more. Baloneys are louder by about 20%. BTW, I really like them and you can get Big City Thunder baffles for them if you want.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

There is another part number associated with the older SEII mufflers...I'm working off my memory right now but I want to say its 80293-99a. That is turn-down style. Believe those are the only two part numbers associated but there could be one more.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I posted this a few days ago in General Chat.
---------------------------
This is paraphased from the January AMA issue: In 1972 Congress passed the Noise Control Act. This required the EPA to set sound standards for several products. In 1983 the dB limit was 83dB(A) for motorcycles. In 1986 that changed to 80 dB(A) using a drive by test:
------------------------------
So technically any muffler without an EPA stamp is illegal. No sound test is required to give you a ticket if yours do not have EPA approval. Those pipes you have on your bike that says, "For Competition Use Only," are illegal on the highway. All states or municipalities have to do is enforce the law. They don't need a dB meter. They don't need to pass a law that singles out motorcycles. The law is already there. All they have to do is enforce it. It's a Federal law. Good in all 50 states and territories.
EPA started pressuring the bike manufacturers a few years ago to not sale non-complying pipes.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:49 AM
dpprSoup
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also wanted something a little louder, a little sharper, etc. but not break the bank. Dealer talked me into Cycle Shack slip-ons. Used them for about a month, and found out that over about an hour or so, they gave me a nasty headache, even wearing a bucket. Then went to the SE slip-ons which I should have done in the first place. A little louder than stock, with a nice deep tone IMO.

Quick Reply: SEII vs non-OEM slip ons