Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT AND TTS Owners, I need an educated opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:17 PM
AstroGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT AND TTS Owners, I need an educated opinion...

I have the chance to pick up the SE race tuner on the cheap. But I was sold on getting a TTS before I found it. I can afford the SE and a dyno run but I cannot afford the TTS and a dyno run. I want your experience to set me on the straight path. I like bargains, but if the SE is not worth the hassle even for a good price then I will spend it on the TTS. Did I mention Ive been reading that 100+ page thread about the tts? My head hurts but I really didnt get the answer I was looking for...

Last edited by AstroGlide; 02-23-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the sert is awesome... get it. and get it dyno tuned...

Old 02-23-2010, 11:23 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

My understanding of the SE race tuner, you do not end up with the software, and the 'shop' is the only ones that can fiddle with it.

With the TTS you get the software, and you can fiddle with it whenever you want.

Also as I understand it, Mastertune used to make the SERT. They wanted to put in more features but HD did not want them, so they parted ways and Mastertune brought out the TTS.... that has more functionality than the SERT.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 PM
AstroGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

I dont want the shop to be the only one to mess with it and get my cash. That was the answer I was lookin for. Thanks guys. I like doing **** myself...

Old 02-23-2010, 11:36 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by AstroGlide
I dont want the shop to be the only one to mess with it and get my cash. That was the answer I was lookin for. Thanks guys. I like doing **** myself...
Please double check... but that is my understanding of the SERT.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:15 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

JRK has a sert and can tune it himself...

Old 02-24-2010, 04:49 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You can tune SERT yourself, you just need to learn the program. I have a map installed from my dyno tune (non dealer tune), I was looking at the TTS website and they offer an upgrade from SERT to TTS for a fee as they developed the SERT for HD. SERT works great in the hands of person that has spent time learning the program. I have the older model it has a tune and analysis program to show what your engine is doing. The TTS and SERT do not stay on the bike so no problems with the fitting issue of the Power Commander as many can not fit it where it is supposed to go to avoid water issues.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TTS kit includes the VTune software where the older SERT does not have anything like it. The older SERT needs a dyno to do what the TTS kit can do for you. The newer SEST or whatever its now called is different, but still not as good as the TTS kit. The SERT software, hardware module, and cable were all sold separately. If your only getting one piece, it may not be as good a value as you may think.

The Vtune software makes the TTS much easier for a DIYer to use than a SERT. Unlike the SERT, the TTS does not need dyno time after each mod to be sure the AFR is near spot on. With either one you can load a canned map that is close and manually tinker (to tinker, you need to know how EFI works regardless of tool).

Putting VTune aside, the TTS has some better (improved) tuning and data logging features but I don't know if you would feel the difference in the seat of your pants. (correction, this statement was related to SEST, I'm not aware of any significant tuning features differences in SERT, TTS is the updated version of the SERT software thats been around for years)

It seems like TTS competitors are dropping prices below cost because the only way they can compete is to change the $$$ value. A few months ago you could say "why compromise when the best tool is about the same price". Now those that just want to ride may think twice about the price difference. Those that want nothing but the most satisfying ride and are DIY will probably pick up the TTS regarldess.

Oh, as mentioned, if the SERT deal is good enough you could buy it and trade the module in on a TTS and perhaps save a few $$.

Last edited by ColdCase; 02-24-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,112 Likes on 2,120 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
The TTS kit includes the VTune software where the older SERT does not have anything like it. The older SERT needs a dyno to do what the TTS kit can do for you. The newer SEST or whatever its now called is different, but still not as good as the TTS kit. The SERT software, hardware module, and cable were all sold separately. If your only getting one piece, it may not be as good a value as you may think.

The Vtune software makes the TTS much easier for a DIYer to use than a SERT. Unlike the SERT, the TTS does not need dyno time after each mod to be sure the AFR is near spot on. With either one you can load a canned map that is close and manually tinker (to tinker, you need to know how EFI works regardless of tool).

Putting VTune aside, the TTS has some better (improved) tuning and data logging features but I don't know if you would feel the difference in the seat of your pants.

It seems like TTS competitors are dropping prices below cost because the only way they can compete is to change the $$$ value. A few months ago you could say "why compromise when the best tool is about the same price". Now those that just want to ride may think twice about the price difference. Those that want nothing but the most satisfying ride and are DIY will probably pick up the TTS regarldess.

Oh, as mentioned, if the SERT deal is good enough you could buy it and trade the module in on a TTS and perhaps save a few $$.
couple questions CC.............

what are the *
better (improved) tuning and data logging features* ??

why would the SERT need a dyno to look at the AFR??

are you tuning your machine with the TTS??

Old 02-24-2010, 04:32 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mud

what are the *better (improved) tuning and data logging features* ??

why would the SERT need a dyno to look at the AFR??

are you tuning your machine with the TTS??
Sorry I was typing faster than thinking... SERT and TTS I think are pretty near identical for tuning adjustments, although the newer TTS may be easier to use. I meant to go back an corrected the post but got distracted by the boss. I was thinking SEST at the time.

I hear you need a dyno (with a sniffer) to easily measure the VE and AFR of the engine under a number of conditions so you have some basis to adjust/customize the EFI via the SERT. The TTS kit includes a DIY software package that does this pretty well while riding. I think SERT can read the O2 voltage (data log it perhaps, I'm not sure) but my understanding that is it is a lotta work converting these numbers to actual AFR. I hear there are many out there that use the SERT to tune just by ear and experience and do well.

Yes I used TTS to tune my bike. I had an annoying off-idle surge and the VTune figured it out for me..

Quick Reply: SERT AND TTS Owners, I need an educated opinion...