Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is it worth it???

Ok, got a question that well, I can really only ask myself. But i wanna hear what others have to say, good or bad. Just got my 2010 Wide Glide last month. Well a buddy just put the A.M.S. 105 kit on his E-Glide, and that sumbich is a bad boy. Hes got all the tools to do it, the garage, the knowledge, so all i would be out is the cost of the kit. BUT, it would void my motor warrenty. The warrenty is 4 years. I have asked and the rest of the bikes warrenty would be good, but if i did the change then it would void the warrenty on the motor. Is it worth the risk? I know the A.M.S. kit is warrentied, but probably not to the extent of the Harley Warrenty. Any thoughts? Ok and to answer one question before it comes out. The A.M.S. 105 kit, is hardly even a fraction of the 103 kit that Harley offers, so thas why i am not going with the 103 kit.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 AM
tomcat0818
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right, only you can answer that question. I reckon having a buddy with the wherewithal to be able to do the conversion might lessen the risk with handling repairs on an out of warranty engine. I've got an '08 FXD and I've not seriously considered engine upgrades with the 15k miles I've got on her. I can imagine doing a conversion on an 883 after a couple years of ownership but not a big-twin after only a month.

Hopefully someone can chime in here on any issues/experience with the actual kit and you won't have to crawl through everyone's opinions on 'go big or go home'.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:01 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think if you want to upgrade but don't want to harm your warranty, do the SE kit. You get the best of both worlds. Increased performance and you retain your warranty, until such a time that you can go hawg wild with the upgrades you really want. Four years is a pretty long time.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
tdshepard
Unsubscribed From Forum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must have paid $800 or more to extend your warranty. I would say you are married to the dealer and SE dealer installed parts.
I had a different take when I purchased my 06 Superglide. I knew before I purchased I would modify asap. I went to dealers and said give me the best cash price on a vivid black Superglide, you will probably never see me again.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:44 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

On another thread forum member, Taddeoeg, in reply to another member's assertion that work
"...has to be HD authorized so I won't have any warranty issues. ... "Sez who? Harley absolutely can't deny a warranty claim just because you had work done elsewhere or did it yourself. They can deny claims for work that voids their warranty, regardless of who does it including a HD dealership. But changing out bars? NFW unless shoddy workmanship causes a problem, and again that would void HD warranty even it a dealership did it.""
I think he has a point ... I think your warranty should be valid for anything that goes wrong with your bike--except for what was directly or indirectly caused by the added (AMS 105" Kit) parts. Even if the dealership which is called to honor the warranty asserts some defective condition was indirectly caused by the 105" kit, you could contest their decision or elevate to the next higher level (and keep doing so up to the MoCo) ....

I think sometimes guys are too quick to swallow a salesman's claim or a service rep about what the warranty will or won't cover ... maybe in the case of the service rep it makes more sense if this individual may well be the first one to deny the warranty claim.

You could also think of it this way, there are a wide variety of issues that could come up (that have nothing to do with your 105" kit install) for which you would still be able to use your warranty ....

And on the flip side ... would it make sense for HD to warrant parts from another mfr installed by you ...? There are two obvious inputs there over which they exercize absolutely zero quality control ....

A related point: you have quite a bit of knowledge of (i) your friend's facilities and abilities, (ii) your skill level (and personal dedication and interest in getting the install absolutely right) and (iii) AMS 105" kit quality (or can research and find out) ... after all there are a lot of good high-quality parts on the aftermarket that meet or exceed HD quality standards ....

Just some thoughts on the subject ....

R/
'Chop

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 02-23-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:14 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought the bike new in 2000 and paid around $1000 for the extended warranty (think it was 5 years). After riding stock I said f*** this and started doing performance mods, which voided the warranty.

It was clear to me I shouldn't have bought the warranty in the first place, but I didn't want to waste 4 years riding a bike that was not set-up the way I wanted, because of that mistake.

As it turns out it was a non-issue since I haven't had any real problems. Good luck in your decision.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You'd void the warranty for engine issues, as you state. But so what? You and your buddy will have near-completely torn it down and carefully put it back together using parts you have faith in. So what could go wrong that would relate back to the original HD parts? Bad crank? Cracked cases?

If you're worried, tear the entire down down completely while you have it apart and triple check everything. Mic it all and make certain you have all the correct clearances and torque when you put it back together. You'll likely have a better (i.e. higher quality) engine than you have now.

I would, most likely, wait a bit and put some miles on the bike before the change. That way any flaw manufacturing related would have a chance to show itself while still under warranty.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would bet that you have a very slim chance of needing the warranty for anything that migh be voided by the 105 kit... I say do it. all the other parts of the bike not related to the kit will still be under warranty...

Old 02-23-2010, 05:19 PM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a return on your warranty and do the kit, I cashed in my warranty before I traded in my softail

Old 02-23-2010, 05:26 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you do it...get the crank welded & balanced, S&S gear driven cams, torrington bearings and the SE compensator. Go all the way or not at all.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it???