Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chroming parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
lilspanky
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chroming parts

Alright guys I got what may be a stupid question. Ive read some post and threads on here about polishing aluminum to a like chrome finish, but can you do this with steel? ie, battery cover, electrical panal cover, etc. Ive been wanting to do this because I like the look but im to cheap to buy the chrome parts. Any input here is appreciated. Pics are appreciated to.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:38 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You're asking if you can polish steel? No.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:44 PM
lilspanky
Cruiser

So it is not possible to get a finish like the others have on there lower legs? Would it be worth chroming my stock parts or just buying chrome ones? Just curious Ive never had anything chromed and im not sure how expensive/ inexpensive it would be.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Blackened
Cruiser

Example: I was looking to either buy or chrome a set of chrome strut covers for my street bob. A set from my local H-D dealer wanted $106 per side. To get them chromed from Brown's plating in kentucky it would have been $135 per side. Point is: entertain both options, might depend on the size of parts you want to get chromed.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 PM
cwinding
Advanced

I think aluminum is the only other possible sheen to chrome by severe polishing....

Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lilspanky
So it is not possible to get a finish like the others have on there lower legs? Would it be worth chroming my stock parts or just buying chrome ones? Just curious Ive never had anything chromed and im not sure how expensive/ inexpensive it would be.
The lower legs are aluminum so they can be polished. The battery cover, electrical cover, dash panel and most all covers are steel, so they have to be chromed. Polish or chrome aluminum parts, chrome steel parts.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lilspanky
If you look for bargains, I think you could buy new (used) chromed parts cheaper than anything. Make ebay, craigslist, the classifieds on HDF your friend.

Look up ChromeMasters or similar. I'm pretty sure they have a pricelist posted on their site. Would give you an idea what it will cost to get parts chromed.

I had parts chromed once...from a company in Paterson, NJ that came pretty highly recommended (G&H Plating). Within 6mos-1yr, the chrome was peeling off. I never used them again.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:14 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you can polish steel like chrome... but it will be covered in rust in a few days if not treated...just look for chrome parts on here or ebay..

Old 02-22-2010, 09:17 PM
lilspanky
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
If you look for bargains, I think you could buy new (used) chromed parts cheaper than anything. Make ebay, craigslist, the classifieds on HDF your friend.

Look up ChromeMasters or similar. I'm pretty sure they have a pricelist posted on their site. Would give you an idea what it will cost to get parts chromed.

I had parts chromed once...from a company in Paterson, NJ that came pretty highly recommended (G&H Plating). Within 6mos-1yr, the chrome was peeling off. I never used them again.
Thanks guys Ill check for some on there. I knew it was probably going to be a stupid question but had to ask. I guess its like i was once told as a kid " its better to let people think your an idiot than to open your mouth and leave them no doubt" lol

Old 02-22-2010, 09:44 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackened
Example: I was looking to either buy or chrome a set of chrome strut covers for my street bob. A set from my local H-D dealer wanted $106 per side. To get them chromed from Brown's plating in kentucky it would have been $135 per side. Point is: entertain both options, might depend on the size of parts you want to get chromed.

I got my chrome take offs from someone on this forum. He just wanted me to pay $12 for shipping. I threw him a $20 for a 12 pack. It was great!! I also got a chrome battery band from another member for $20 shipped, practically brand new.

Post a thread asking for these things. Some just have them sitting in their garage getting dusty and have no problem hooking a brother up. The guy that sold me the chrome strut covers said he was about to take them to the dump that weekend. You may get lucky!!

Quick Reply: Chroming parts