Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in Dyna Glide models with FL front ends?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Hogi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this old thread!!!

Old 12-28-2013, 06:41 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl '69
I'll bounce this back up, as I'm very interested in doing this myself.

Couple questions-

For y'all that switced from 39mm to 41mm fork, what length did ya go with? FLST? I ride a '02 FXD, if that matters.

For those with 41mms, how many have had the "too soft" issue? Is there a known fix for it, aside from longer preload spacers? I planned on Race Tech springs & their Gold Valve emulators.

What rear fender would be a good candidate for the '02? Stock width is 7.5" & unsure if a specific year-range FLST or FLHT would be the best starting point.

I'm actually torn between 2 "visions" at this point. Regardless of which way I go, the bike's getting Burly 14" narrow apes & FLD floorboards. Part of me is thinking mid-glide trees & axle for the 39mm, 130/70-18 & XL1200C front fender. The other part is thinking FLST front end (stripped, with fork gaiters), 130/90-16 & bagger fenders. Alternatively, a Softail Slim front fender, with Super Glide rear fender might be cool, too. Keep going back & forth between either a burly, pissed off Super Glide, or stripped FLH.

Hey Carl

Some good questions that kind of ultimately boil down to ... what look really trips your trigger ...

I personally really like the nostalgic look that George's 'bully' Switchback has achieved quite well ... I like the trimmed front fender with the classic Duo Glide emblems, nose trim/spears ... the tractor seat ... the beehive tail light ... Hollywood bars ... etc.

I've tried to incorporate a lot of nostalgic appeal in my bike, too ... I think one of the things that really (almost unnoticeably) captures the feel are the tires ... not sure what George is running, but I am sporting Avon Safety Mileage SM II (AM7) treads ...

To address a couple of your questions ... I am using the stock length FLST Softail forks but found the softness greatly improved with addition of Race Tech springs (I went with 95 kg) & Gold Valve cartridge emulators ...

I've often thought that the FLD Switchback fender would be a good option ... but, might not work with your earlier '02 frame ... the newer '06-later models have more space between the rear fender struts ...

I went with a '58-'73 repro hinged fender and did some work to adapt it to my '05 Dyna ... I showed how I did it on a thread here ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...r-for-fxd.html ... and have some photos of the finished product here ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ed-photos.html

Good luck sorting it out and settling on a direction ... it can be a lot of fun ... and you may find that you take a detour or two until you settle on a final (??) look ...

R/
'Chop

Old 12-28-2013, 09:30 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Fork tube info for those of you that may be thinking you like the look.
41mm Fork Tubes

1984& later 41mm fork tubes are all the same with the exception of total length.

FLT1984-1996 22-7/8"
FLT 1997-later 20-1/4"
FLSTC/N/F1986-1999 22-7/8"
FLSTC/N/F 2000-later 22-1/4"
FXWG,FXST/C 1984-1999 24-1/2"
FXDWG,FXST/C 2000-later 24-1/4"

Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 AM
Chinashop bull
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Todd,

Long time no hear. Hope you're well and that you had a merry and safe Christmas.

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
... not sure what George is running, but I am sporting Avon Safety Mileage SM II (AM7) treads ...
Shinko e270 in 500-16. Best tyres I've ever used. PERIOD. get it. I'm currently running whitewalls, but will be back on blackballs again soon.

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop

I went with a '58-'73 repro hinged fender and did some work to adapt it to my '05 Dyna ... I showed how I did it on a thread here ...
Which is what I should've done.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:01 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl '69
I'll bounce this back up, as I'm very interested in doing this myself.

Couple questions-

For y'all that switced from 39mm to 41mm fork, what length did ya go with? FLST? I ride a '02 FXD, if that matters.

For those with 41mms, how many have had the "too soft" issue? Is there a known fix for it, aside from longer preload spacers? I planned on Race Tech springs & their Gold Valve emulators.

I used the FLST front end and didn't care for the soft front end. I tried various lengths of PVC spacers, different fork oils, and varying amounts of oil. In the end I went with the progressive monotube cartidges, standard height. They ride great and keep the tire firmly planted on the pavement. I believe the emulators you mentioned with a good set of springs will give you as good as or better ride quality than the monotubes I used, for about the same dollars.

I used the standard length fork tubes from a 07 fatboy.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 695 Likes on 338 Posts

SURFOR Chop- thanks a ton for your reply & for starting this thread & group.

Chinashop bull- VERY sweet ride.

I'm leaning more toward the pissed-off Super Glide vibe, than the stripped FLH. Love the FLH vibe, but the FXD is not the best starting place for that (in my mind).

I love the classic lines of the Dyna emulating the FX/FL. To really do it "right" tho, on top of the FLST front, I'd need to source a FXDWG tank, console & speedo, along with massaging a FL-esque rear fender to fit. Kinda like going around my *** to get to my elbow.

OTOH, mid-glide trees for my 39mm forks, a XL1200C fender would be a bit more economical. To me, it'd be maximizing what I've already got, vs. trying to completely change its character.

That said.... I could sell my 39mm front end & 19" laced rim to offset piecing together a FLST 41mm fork & 16" laced rim. Any idea on what a clean set of 39mms & 19" spoker would bring on the 'bay or CL?

Y'know, a pair of 16" OEM 10-spoke mags, p/c black with polished lip & ribs would be kinda sharp....

Old 12-30-2013, 06:07 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Carl

I rode around without a front fender for a while (as in my signature photo) ... and took me a while (year or so) to figure out what to do with my rear fender ...

Up until the last year or so my bike has been a work in progress ... but, kind of finally have it where I want it ... for now ...

R/
'Chop

Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Carl:

Here's another direction you could take ... I have always been a fan of Brian "Muddyape's" Hooligan Dyna ... talk about 'pissed off' ...

Originally Posted by Muddyape
Finally after health issues and a long winter I got her done. Switchback front end with PM FL Crossbar bezel, modified Voodoo rear fender/struts, ARP shock bolts, rear fender splash guard, new seat/grips, dash console switch panel and Fork co. timing cover.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 PM
2013superglideseattle
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, I'd like to add to this thread before the year end. How much is going to cost me if I put a fat front end to my bike? Bike is 2013 superglide. Thanks

Old 12-30-2013, 10:53 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

It all depends ... on whether you buy take-offs and are able to market your take-offs ... net of my take-offs, I was probably out less than $500 including wheel, fender and all in ...

If you were to do like Muddyape, he bought the Switchback parts ... again, I think he got them second hand, but can't say for certain ...

If you do a search you might find the details you need to get a feel ... I know I did a 'how to' thread and there are a couple others IIRC ...

Welcome aboard ...

R/
'Chop

Quick Reply: Interested in Dyna Glide models with FL front ends?