Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in Dyna Glide models with FL front ends?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 PM
sin_cal_fxd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamic
This is nuts. Fat front ends, short or air shocks, floorboards, windshields, apes, Z bars, fork lowering kits, forward controls. ON A DYNA? Talk about unclear on the concept.
Why not just buy a Road King or Street Glide? Just sayin'.
It's like chopping a Buell, or putting FLH tanks on a GSXR. Sheeesh.
I thought all that stuff started on a real swing arm bike? Aka Dyna's....... Flh shovelhead models had full swept fenders, tombstone tail lights, fat forks, and a swing arm like a Dyna. And really apes or z bars have nothing to do with a Dyna or softail. That's called custom, some of us choose to work on our bikes and not look like every other swinging dick. Imo this is a great idea. Being a big fan of FLH shovelheads and pan shovels I've done plenty of thinking about buying some real FLH tins and a couple and a set of wider trees. Time to hit the local used parts shop, count me in.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:35 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

There is no better platform than a Dyna to create an FLH clone:

My 2008 Street Bob

My Father's 2005 Super Glide

Old 06-07-2012, 12:39 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Sweet photos ... thanks for sharing ...

I've always thought your dad's bike does a really good job of capturing the feel ... only thing I'd do different is remove the 'Willie G' skull derby cover ... doesn't fit the 'period' ...

Just sayin' ...

R/
'Chop

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 06-07-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Sweet photos ... thanks for sharing ...

I've always thought your dad's bike does a really good job of capturing the feel ... only thing I'd do different is remove the 'Willie G' skull derby cover ... doesn't fit the 'period' ...

Just sayin' ...

R/
'Chop
I think it is already gone. It was on there when he bought the bike.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Biggles633
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDWG going FAT

Great thread - even if it is an oldie. Ive had my DWG for 14 years. The thought of choppin' him in for a new one just kills me. What would happen to the ol' boy ? He's been so good to us. All over Spain, France, Suisse and the Italian Alps. Never missed a beat

Thanks to BikerLaw I'm going the FAT route at long last - hey bud thanks a LOT.....you just cost me one-an-a-half thou' Euro !!!! Just bought a 2004 Herirtage front end, beach bars, trading the Thunderstar 5 spokes for black rim ss wires, Fat Bob 5 gal tanks, fenders and a set of FL baggies from fleabay.

All the parts arrive next week. Now all I need is a big box of san Miguel

Old 07-22-2012, 08:11 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggles633
Thanks to BikerLaw I'm going the FAT route at long last - hey bud thanks a LOT.....you just cost me one-an-a-half thou' Euro !!!!
Lol, glad to help. Just let me know if theres anything else I can do.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior

Took our FLH Clones cross-country earlier this month. Saw this place along the way

Biggles, keep us up to date with your conversion. You are also welcome to post in the FL-Dyna Social Group. If you are willing to scan through about a thousand posts, you will eventually find all the information you need to convert to a 1958-84 FLH. Good luck.....................

Old 12-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 695 Likes on 338 Posts

I'll bounce this back up, as I'm very interested in doing this myself.

Couple questions-

For y'all that switced from 39mm to 41mm fork, what length did ya go with? FLST? I ride a '02 FXD, if that matters.

For those with 41mms, how many have had the "too soft" issue? Is there a known fix for it, aside from longer preload spacers? I planned on Race Tech springs & their Gold Valve emulators.

What rear fender would be a good candidate for the '02? Stock width is 7.5" & unsure if a specific year-range FLST or FLHT would be the best starting point.

I'm actually torn between 2 "visions" at this point. Regardless of which way I go, the bike's getting Burly 14" narrow apes & FLD floorboards. Part of me is thinking mid-glide trees & axle for the 39mm, 130/70-18 & XL1200C front fender. The other part is thinking FLST front end (stripped, with fork gaiters), 130/90-16 & bagger fenders. Alternatively, a Softail Slim front fender, with Super Glide rear fender might be cool, too. Keep going back & forth between either a burly, pissed off Super Glide, or stripped FLH.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Chinashop bull
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I started with an FLD. Straight out of the box you've got an FL front end, cigar tube shocks, 5 gal tank and speedo, floorboards, and room for a ton of mods. Only real downsides are them ugly 5 spoke wheels (easy fix), and the fat rear guard.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:05 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Oh yeah nice ride chinashop,

Dont go upsetting mick44 today either

Thanks
Mirrmu

Quick Reply: Interested in Dyna Glide models with FL front ends?