Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Sight Tube on St. BOB???? HOW???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:26 PM
FireRyder09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Sight Tube on St. BOB???? HOW???

Okay, so I know the head honchos down at HD already gave me this option with my fuel guage on the tank..well I dont like that ha ha. Eventually Im going to go with some flush caps (Not the $200 from the Dealer) so I want to put a Fuel Guage site tube on the side of the tank. I know this involves, drilling and welding but anyone know else what things need to be done for this mod to work? ( and I know draining all the fuel first, ha ha smart-***'s)

Im determined to make this work, but without making it a total disaster.

http://www.lickscycles.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=1612

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Sight Tube on St. BOB???? HOW???-coolaccessories-fuelsightgauge.jpg  
Old 02-20-2010, 09:41 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Theres nothing to it, but your gonna be repainting the tank. I put one on my Shovel a few years back. Hell, I still have the tank in my garage. The only trick I can point out, is not to drill the hole in the tank til after the fittings are welded on. Once they are welded on, then drill the hole. Helps cut down on problems like warpage and such. Also, the actual hole you drill in the side of the tank doesn't have to be very large. Certianlly not as big as the fitting. The gas just sloshes up and down the tube if it is. Here's the one I installed on my king sporty tank. If I had to do it over again, I would do it straight up and down. At the time I was thinking bigger was better.....not so much once I finished it.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:56 PM
FireRyder09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet I may have to get in touch with you when I start this because Im still a lil uneasy about it ya know. Did you have to repaint the whole tank or just where you did the welding? Im going to have to take this to a local shop that can weld since I have no cluse on how to do it.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:16 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I started with a brand new tank, so I didn't have to repaint, only paint. Truth be told, I had the tank powder coated instead of painting it. Which is funny, since I'm was a painter by trade for many years! Any shop with a tig welder can do it up for a decent price, but the heat will burn the surrounding paint. Before you do it, take the tank to a couple body shops. They may offer to do both the welding and the painting at a better price than taking it to two shops. That way you also get the benefit of a shop that will warranty the paint work, since they did the welding.