Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Primary Bolt Stripped

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:47 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Help Primary Bolt Stripped

Wow, there's a lot of that going around and my oil change last Fall was no different. I learned my lesson in that 1) you can check and fill the primary though the inspection cover on the primary 2) the factory torx bolts are easily stripped (and ealsily replaced) and 3) use anti-seize on the new bolts when you put them in regardless if they're torx, allen head or anything else.

One last piece of unsolicited advice would be to torque the new derby bolts down to the LOWER of the range of inch pounds shown in the service manual. That way, they will still seal the derby opening but will be much less likely to strip and get overtorqued. Oh yeah, if the paper derby gasket looks at all questionable, replace it. It's only a few bucks and you won't have to start all over again when the old one leaks. If the old one is in good shape, should, it should be good to resuse.

Buy quality tools- the busted knuckles and blood pressure you save may be your own.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:51 PM
blackfinbob
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow,
What an ordeal but the stripped bolt was finally taken out of the bike at 5pm. this afternoon. I tried so many things but what finally worked was a 1/4" drill bit right to the head of the bolt. The end peeled around drill bit just like you guys said it would. I was left with enough bolt to work it loose, although I had to break out the big jaw pliers to get enough leverage to break it loose. I don't know what the dealer was doing but they were obviously standing on the wrench to get the bolt that tight. By the time I got it out, I had the end of the broken bolt rounded off. Sorry but that can't be right.
Well this is just like winning an Oscar, I have so many people to thank that I don't know where to start. So If you replied to my post. THANK YOU. It was definitely appreciated. I wish I knew more to help people out but I'm just not there yet. If there was an HD Forum Hall of Fame you guys would be there. Rogue Rob you are a great guy offering up and sending me your newly replaced factory derby cover. I appreciate it.
One person that did not reply to this question however I took advice from his last post was Tommay. HAVE PLENTY OF BEER. LOL

jdog

Old 07-27-2006, 09:45 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After rounding the torz on previous bike decided it was time bought good set of torx sockets for new bike.bought em at oreilys auto they are Lsisle not sure how it is spelled but night day difference between a cheap folding set

Old 07-27-2006, 09:48 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Too bad I saw this post too late. There is only one truly EASY solution for a stripped bolt and this tool is it. It works like a dream. It's from Craftsman and it's called Drill Out. This is the easiest methind I have used to get stripped bolts out yet. It's not cheap but it's easy and fast.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Old 07-27-2006, 11:19 PM
rogue_rob
Tourer

glad you got it fixed man. I did send out the stuff this morning though ) I better not see it on ebay haha I'll pm my addy to ya, but I'm not too concerned over 4 bucks shipping. Tell ya what, next time I'm in your neck of the woods or you're in mine, we'll get together for a brew or 10.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:31 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The dealer probably didn't overtighten the bolts........they just didn't use anti-seize compound. Better get some. My $.02.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 PM
blackfinbob
Road Master

Time for a tool check kit for the rookie....Is it decent stuff....I'm not a tool guy. I'm hearing talk about cheap tools. While I don't have Mac and snap on is this ok.
1. Craftsmen in/lb torque wrench. It's converts to Nm so I can still adjust to FT/LB when it calls for it. Nothing on the 5,000 mile service calls for adjustments above this wrenches capabilities.
2. Craftsmen 8 piece hex set 3/8" drive
3. Craftsment 8 piece torque set. 3/8"drive
4. Craftsmen 19 v drill
5. 2 Craftsmen Socket sets 1-1/4" drive, 1-3/8" drive
6. Dewalt Drill Bits
7. Dewalt Torque Bit set
8. Teflon TFE pipe thread
9. Blue Loctite
10. Permatex Anti-seize
11. Belt Tensioner
12. Oil Filter Wrench
13.Spanner Wrench
14. Dyna Service Manual
15. Extra Redline ShockProof Heavy, Redline 20w50, Redline MTL
16. Refrigerator in the Garage
17. BEER AT ALL TIMES

I still need to get a motorcycle lift.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:32 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

ORIGINAL: jdog12091

Time for a tool check kit for the rookie....Is it decent stuff....I'm not a tool guy. I'm hearing talk about cheap tools. While I don't have Mac and snap on is this ok.
1. Craftsmen in/lb torque wrench. It's converts to Nm so I can still adjust to FT/LB when it calls for it. Nothing on the 5,000 mile service calls for adjustments above this wrenches capabilities.
2. Craftsmen 8 piece hex set 3/8" drive
3. Craftsment 8 piece torque set. 3/8"drive
4. Craftsmen 19 v drill
5. 2 Craftsmen Socket sets 1-1/4" drive, 1-3/8" drive
6. Dewalt Drill Bits
7. Dewalt Torque Bit set
8. Teflon TFE pipe thread
9. Blue Loctite
10. Permatex Anti-seize
11. Belt Tensioner
12. Oil Filter Wrench
13.Spanner Wrench
14. Dyna Service Manual
15. Extra Redline ShockProof Heavy, Redline 20w50, Redline MTL
16. Refrigerator in the Garage
17. BEER AT ALL TIMES
I still need to get a motorcycle lift.
3. you meant torx, right

18. motorcycle lift, the yellow one. Can't live without it

19. hand impact, to loosen torx heads with one or two raps, so they don't strip out on you.

edited to add:

20. go get more beer, after you're done you probably will be about a quart low.

mud

Old 07-28-2006, 08:54 AM
budwfo
Road Captain

hehe,,Mud is right,,,make sure to check your fluids when you get done,,,I usually lose about 12 oz. of fluid after working on my bike..I highly recommend 20w-50 Budlight....or you can use the synthetic fluid--Tequila...

Old 07-28-2006, 02:49 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend replacing the torx bolts with stainless allen bolts as Jamie suggested as well. They are SO MUCH EASIER to remove and reinstall.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Quick Reply: Help Primary Bolt Stripped