Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Primary Bolt Stripped

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:56 PM
blackfinbob
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help Primary Bolt Stripped

Rogue,
I may take you up on that offer of the derby cover, I appreciate it. I may try to get a really small pair of vice grips tomorrow and see what happens.
jdog

Old 07-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Try heating it if you still have a way to get a bite on it. Just be careful not to start a fire and stay clear of the chrome... it can be done

Donnie

Old 07-27-2006, 12:08 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Start drilling the head of the torx bolt until it pops off. Use a bit that is slightly smaller than the diameter of the torx bolt. Once it pops off remove the derby cover and you should be able to unscrew the threaded piece. Go to the dealer and get a few new bolts and a tube of loctite never sieze. put the never sieze on the threads when you screw the bolts back in and have no problems. If you dont have a torque wrench get one from Sears that is a 20-200 INCH LBS. adjustable one. Then get a dyna service manual and everything will seem a lot easier because the manual has all the torque specs. Good luck.PM me if you are stuck. KB

Torque values for derby cover 84-108 inch lbs
primary drain bolt 36-60 inch lbs.

engine drain plug 14-21 foot lbs

trans drain bolt 14-21 foot lbs

ORIGINAL: jdog12091

I've tried a chisel with a mallet vice grips, w-d 40 etc. What do you mean by drill the bolt out? I don't want to ruin the threads in the primary case cover. Wow these bolt heads are pretty soft.
jdog

Old 07-27-2006, 12:09 AM
rogue_rob
Tourer

Just let me know, I'll get it in the mail asap and you can reimburse shipping whenever.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:29 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

i sware,these dang torx bolts are such a common problem child. i think it makes a huge diff if you have a really good set of torx bits,and they hard to find.99% of the ones in stores are china junk !!! seems damn few stores anymore even carry good american made tools. man,what a sore topic with me,all these imported junk tools. anyone agree ?

good sets can be bought off the net. just like a few weeks ago i was looking for some quality hedge trimmers. guess what ...not one store in my entire area had any.had to buy some on the net....man,am i on a rant or what,LOL ...

getting back to the torx,i do blame the junk tools for rounding these torx bolts off !! these tools are just very soft metal ... ok. rant off :

Old 07-27-2006, 12:36 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me. I was able to get enough of the head to get it out. Went down to the hardware store and bought five stainless hex type bolts.

I recommend it highly. Those torx heads are a pain in the tuckus and strip easily.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:38 AM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't read every response to your question, but it's the exact same sh*t I went through 2 weeks ago, except I had 3 to drill out. Use a 1/4 drill bit, which is the same size as the shank of your bolt. The holes in the primary that these bolts actually go into are way bigger than 1/4 inch so you won't have to worry about messing anything up. Anyway start drilling with the 1/4 inch bit directly into the bolt head and soon enough the torx screw head will pop right off and will be spinning around the outside of your bit. You could even use a 3/8 inch bit if you don't have the patience for a 1/4 inch. Replace with whatever you want, I used Grade * allen head bolts. Be sure whatever you use that you are allowing for equal amount of bare thread to screw in as with your original torx head pieces of crap.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:04 AM
budwfo
Road Captain

Its not the bolt, its the "Nut" trying to get it out,,just kidding,,it does take a quality set of torx bits to remove them lil' bolts,,I have found that Snap-On makes the best bits, they just seem to fit better than the rest...I have been turning wrenches for over 20 yrs and found that good tools make all the difference in the world....Most people don't have them but reverse drill bits work great...

Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to agree with what has been said - Just take a drill and drill directly into the center of the stripped bolt. The head will pop off once you are about 3/16" into it. After that, the threaded portion screws out easily. Replace all five with stainless steel allen heads.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

I had to drill mine out a couple of months ago. Read about 1/2 way down this post of mine to get an idea of what could happen: https://www.hdforums.com/m_490173/tm.htm

Whiff

Quick Reply: Help Primary Bolt Stripped