Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on Slip Ons Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:18 AM
MARCUS 79
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on Slip Ons Please!!

For those of you who had already installed some slip ons on your bike, I have this question.
Is there a very big difference in loudness and sound(rumble) quality, than from a complete system?
For example, is there a very big difference between a V & H Big Radius and a V & H 3" Slip ons?
I taught of doing the following setup: 3" V&H slip ons / Screaming Eagle Air filter and a power commander.
Is it a good setup or not??

I also considered the Screaming Eagle slip ons but I read somwhere that these are very quiet.. (I do not know if it holds true)

Thanks a lot for your support....

Last edited by MARCUS 79; 02-19-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:43 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO , no . The sound from the V&H slip ons is very similar to the sound from their full exhaust sets . Probably the same baffles .

Old 02-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Chris07STBOB
Intermediate

I went from V&H slip-ons to V&H short shots and the "rumble" sounds the same to me but the short shots are way louder. So there is some difference depending on the pipe/slip-on.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nightster666
3" V&H slip ons / Screaming Eagle Air filter and a power commander. Is it a good setup or not??
I think many use that set up or similar, but what are you looking for, posing or performance? Constable attracting loud or mellow? Good is somewhat subjective, the stock bike is good except perhaps the sound. What year bike? How easily satisfied are you?

In general, slip ons take away some torque but may be worth it for the sound. A full exhaust system usually improves performance, tuned ones sound just a bit different, tighter, but are big $$.

The free flow AF is less effective filtering out dirt but will help WOT throttle power. But why do you want to go there? The bike needs a good map to take advantage of it, however.

The PC is good, but look at the TTS tuning kit for better. The difference in price is in the noise compared to your other mods.

Music to ones ears is noise to another, you really need to hang around a cruise night or dealer and listen to some bikes to get a feel of what certain pipes sound like. There are uTube videos that will give you a rough idea, but live sounds are a bit different. Do you care/want harshness/raspyness with a mellow idle tone? Do you want loud or very loud? What kind of look are you going for?

Personally I'm satisfied with my inexpensive 2 inch Rush slip ons for sound.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Ring
Advanced

Have the Vance and Hines slip-ons, Vance and Hines Drak A/C and PC V. I went with the slip-ons because I didn't have the money to do a full exhaust. Coldcase is right, from what i've' read and from talking to everyone, fully tuned complete systems give you more torque than slip-ons.

On my FXD, my setup I think works pretty good. My goal really was sound more than performance and also keeping the cost down since I don't have a big budget to work with. I ran with just slip-ons for awhile but than just decided to do the whole stage 1. The V&H slip-ons sound good and blend in with the stock header pipes very well which is something IMO most slip-ons don't do. They are alittle higher pitched without that deep deep rumble than say Reinharts or similar but also around $300 dollars cheaper. Tons louder than stock and have a descent rumble. From what i've learned, the old screaming eagles sounded good but apparently the new SE II's are very quiet. I think it's part of the new HD enviromentally concious approach.

I went with the PC V because there is a Dynojet tuning facility not far from me and their trained specifically on dialing in the PC V. I talked to the PC Factory tech guys "not salesman" before buying. I also was able to get it at a really good price and it was easy to install.

I had the bike tuned on a Dynojet Dyno and the HD tech running it said that my HP and TQ numbers were pretty good for a stage 1, slightly above average. But like he said don't expect big numbers from a stage 1. You really have to change displacement and alot more to make big number changes. I'll try to find my dyno print out if your interested in seeing it.

As far as a/c, again I bought the V&H cleaner again because of cost and because it was somewhat matched to the V&H pipes and I liked the looks. Your engine is an air pump so your limited by the I.D. of the throttle body, valve size, bore, stroke ect. on how much air you can move through it. So IMO most all gauze type of filter will do the job. IMO it's really a looks and cost preference.

Again, like Coldcase said, bike nights or even hanging around a bike shop is a good chance to get out there and listen to some bikes and get a feel for what different pipes sound like.

Last edited by Ring; 02-19-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Add to
Old 02-19-2010, 07:51 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well there is a big difference to me from every exhaust to another. All pipes sound a little different. They even sound different depending on how you tune them. IMHO one premium advantage of a full system is the fact you can change the complete style of the exhaust side of your bike. I will say I don't even know what bike you have...so If you have a fatbob, I think I would get slipons cause I really like the tommy gun exhaust. If you have any other bike, get a full system. As it stands, You can buy bassani prostreets or V&H short shots for your bike for a very similar price to a slipon. Come to think of it, I would probably get a set of bassani prostreets for a fatbob over slipons as well.
whatever you do, don't buy slipons just to save money and get more sound now. If financially you have to wait, wait to get exactly the exhaust you want. Also so you know richening up the low end of the bike and idle will produce a much deeper sound than running a lean AFR. And tuning the bike properly will produce more gains than just slapping on an exhaust and relying on the stock settings to set the afr.

Last edited by rounder; 02-19-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:59 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain

Give Fuel Moto a call. They have packages that include the slip ons, a/c and tuner AND have maps for that configuration. That will let your bike run effeciently without have to do an expensive dyno tune at this time. You can always do one down the line to get a little more performance or if you change things in your engine - bigger or just a cam change.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:12 AM
UKFAN1971
Intermediate

I have 2007 street bob, stock motor, V&H slipons, PCIII. great sound, but not as good as my buddys with complete exhaust systems. they were on the bike when i got it. i bought a screamin eagle air cleaner, but have not installed yet. i don't expect much in hp or torque gains, but i hope for a little more power. mostly i hope it runs cooler. dynojet recommended a PCIII map for this combo. maybe a dyno tune soon i hope.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Ring
Advanced

Originally Posted by patriotmc
Give Fuel Moto a call. They have packages that include the slip ons, a/c and tuner AND have maps for that configuration. That will let your bike run effeciently without have to do an expensive dyno tune at this time. You can always do one down the line to get a little more performance or if you change things in your engine - bigger or just a cam change.
It is crazy the price variations in dyno tunes. Two dealers close to me charge $150.00 to $200.00 but I found a HD Dealer with a Dynojet dyno in Battle Creek, MI that did mine for under $70 bucks. Wrote my map and gave me a dyno print out. It might be worth checking around.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:54 AM
jskelington
Road Captain

For what it's worth I put slip on's on my bike along with air claener and stage 1 download and I'm really happy with the set up.
good luck

Quick Reply: Help on Slip Ons Please!!