Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my dealer nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010 | 03:17 PM
rlhdude
|
Cruiser
Default Is my dealer nuts?

Okay, I was about ready to install my new V&H Big Shot exhaust, PC V and Doherty Air cleaner. The included instructions did not include torque values so off to the local HD dealer to pick up a service manual. Well they did not have one in stock so I went back to the service desk to see if they could provide me with the specs I needed.

Anyway during my conversation with them they asked me which pipes I was installing. They told me that the Big Shots have an issue with Decel Popping and the only way to get rid of it was to cut the Power Chamber and weld it closed. The Power Commander even with a Dyno tune would not solve the problem.

Now I did a lot of research on pipes, performance, sound etc before picking my soon to be installed mods. During my reseach, mostly on this site, I never recall hearing this as an issue with Big Shots. I believed this was only an issue without a fuel management system and I am certain I never heard of anyone having to weld shut the power chamber.

So I ask.... is my dealer f'n nuts or is there something to not being able to get rid of decel popping on Big Shots?

Old 02-17-2010 | 03:22 PM
Hickey
Road Captain

I've never heard of popping with big shots, but I have, and know from experience that short shots do happen. Maybe it was misscommunication?

Old 02-17-2010 | 03:56 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

First time hearing of this. I did a lot of research too. My Dealer installed VH BSS on my new FXDC and they didn't say any thing like that. As for welding it, that's a new one too. Do you think it's possible that a HD dealer could be wrong?...I do.
Let us know what you find out.

Old 02-17-2010 | 04:09 PM
tatfreek1
Cruiser

i got a friend that has bigshots with no baffles on an 06 sb that doesnt pop believe it or not!

Old 02-17-2010 | 05:16 PM
BlueBobber07
Advanced

No popping here. By the way NICE bike!!

Old 02-17-2010 | 05:27 PM
boutellepc
Advanced

first of all, i would NOT let the dealer install diddly squat. long shot, short shot, baffle in or out, the power commander does a great job of tuning. i would call support at V&H to get my answers. good luck!

Old 02-17-2010 | 05:32 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

I have Big Shot Staggereds with the Power Commander. In more than two years, no popping what-so-ever.

Old 02-17-2010 | 06:21 PM
chad peterson
Road Master

Majority of dealers are no good for technical questions...lack of experience! Most of what they think they know comes from what they have "heard"! Just ask to speak with somebody in the shop...but even then the majority of the mechanics are just parts replacers & couldn't even tell ya exactly how a v-twin works or how they work best! Don't get me wrong there are some good ones & some very good mechanics but not many! Alot better info on this forum or a private indy shop. I have no faith in dealers, can ya tell, LOL!

Old 02-17-2010 | 06:24 PM
Prodriverdon
Road Master

I have the VH SSS from 2006 and no popping on decel. In 2007 they came out with the "power chamber" and I havent heard of anyone welding the chamber closed. Order a manual and get your bike out of there........

Old 02-17-2010 | 06:24 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Just curious, does your dealer carry the Big Shots in stock by chance? Did they recommend something different that they do carry?
I got the same story from a dealer years ago and like an idiot I bought what they carried at a discount.

Quick Reply: Is my dealer nuts?