Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my dealer nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010 | 07:05 PM
lilspanky
Cruiser

Most people who work at the stealership in my opinion dont know jack#*$!. And that is from expierence. I have had mine on for over a year no problem, and my dad the same thing on an 05 WG No problems even without a tuner. Both had the Power Chamber.

Old 02-17-2010 | 07:05 PM
rlhdude
|
Cruiser

Trust me, they do not have my bike. I would never take my bike back to them after they messed up my 1k check up. I only went into the service area to get some bolt torque specs for installing my exhaust. When they asked which exhaust, that is when they told me about the problem. They said they have seen the decel popping on many bikes with the Big Shots and the only way to fix is to close off the power chamber.

Not sure what their angle is. They sell V&H pipes thier along with Reinharts. They have lost all credibility with me. Two strikes your out... we play by my rules!

Old 02-17-2010 | 07:20 PM
bullpupp12
Cruiser

my bigshots do pop. you just get used to it
later

Old 02-17-2010 | 11:04 PM
Glydiator
Tourer

My big shots almost never popped for the first 5000 miles....they started a little but it's nothing really.
I love the sound of mine with the baffles.
I think they are full of ****...they should be shut down, and all their inventory shipped to me for safe keeping.

Last edited by Glydiator; 02-17-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2010 | 04:14 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member

The BSS with stage 1 dealer download will pop as its not working properly. What has been said here with the Power Commander and a proper map no decel pop or with fuel pak (from V&H) it does not pop. I have never heard of this welding fix and I would run not walk from that advice. I had the stage 1 download and it popped like no ones business. When I went to Stage 2 I dynoed and tuned. The tuner was able to tune it out . The Stage 1 download is a generic map that was developed to work with the MOCO Screaming Eagle brand pipes and not for the more advanced V&H product.

Old 02-18-2010 | 05:38 AM
rlhdude
|
Cruiser
Default thanks

Thanks for the responses. My PC V map is from Jamie at MotoFuel so I am confident it a good one. I have no intention of cutting up the pipe to weld the power chamber closed. That is one reason I got the Big Shots over the Short Shots.

I will be installing this week and hopefully a ride before the next snow storm this coming Tuesday.

Rick

Old 02-18-2010 | 06:02 AM
rlhdude
|
Cruiser
Default popping

What causes decel popping anyway, is it un-used fuel entering the pipe when you let off the throttle? Seems like it would be a fuel managment issue not a pipe issue. I mean the Power Chamber is there to create a scavening affect that helps create an even backpressure for more torque and HP. The scaventing effect is a good thing.

Appears to me that any decel popping is fuel management and should be able to be fixed. I am no expert.

Old 02-18-2010 | 07:32 AM
hogcity5
Cruiser

I love my big shots and get no popping on decel at all and my motor isnt exactly stock. I'm sure all the hours that V & H put into the design of the pipes was well planned out so they would produce max power. Most likely if your tech has heard bad things about them they were from somebody that had them on a poorly tuned bike and just wanted to bitch about something. Personally I think they are a great choice of exhaust.

Old 02-18-2010 | 07:53 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member

If you rule out exhaust leak. The popping on deceleration is a lean condition.

Old 02-18-2010 | 09:06 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rlhdude
What causes decel popping anyway, is it un-used fuel entering the pipe when you let off the throttle?
The issue is Harley exhaust pipes are so short that air can revert the whole way up to near the head.

Sometimes the fuel in the cylinders is not burned completely (or at all) either because its too rich or too lean, often just too lean.

The air coming up the pipe mixes with the unburned fuel and, if conditions are right, lights it off with a pop. Pipes with stock like baffles or longer pipes do not have as much reversion flow, so they are less susceptible to pop. A leak in the exhaust pipe allows more air in at just the right place to light things off.

You can tune decel pop out by setting the EFI to burn all the fuel in the cylinder before it escapes (advance timing, A/F mix) or you can use an exhaust system that is anti reversion.

Long shots, being longer pipes, do not allow much air back up near the exhaust ports. But there will be enough to light off the result of poorly tuned A/F, such as I think you get the stage 1 download.

Anything that reduces reversion like welding in baffles or AV cones, should reduce the popping, and that was probably what the dealer was doing for those pipes.

Last edited by ColdCase; 02-18-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Is my dealer nuts?