Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polished my rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Polished my rotors

Got my rotors polished.

They didnt turn out as good as what I have seen some others do but for my first try they came out pretty good. I am not very patient when it comes to sanding and painting so those things have never been a good ability for me. They look a whole lot better than they did anyway.

I also painted the back of my pulley black. This project has gotten out of hand already so a chrome pulley will have to wait. I have the chrome cover but the grey powder on the inside stuck out against chrome. I figured the black would help it tie into the bike better.

Will probally put a chrome pulley and rotor on the back on the next tire change.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:02 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome idea on the pulley - painting it. When I did my rims and all the polished and chrome trimmings, my indy tried to talk me into a chrome pulley because of how the grey shows from the other side. I really don't think it stands out unless someone is specifically looking for it, but anyway... However, like you, the cost was getting out of hand so I had to decline and stay with the chrome cover I already had. The other reason is because I really couldn't find a chrome pulley that really matched the FXD mags. And I wasn't going to pay $350 or more for something that was just "close".

As for the rotors, don't sweat it. It won't be long before the brake pads do their thing to them anyway. I think they came out pretty good and it wall all look good when you get it all done.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good, and looks like the wait is wearing on you. You'll be polishing bolt heads if those parts don't hurry up and get there.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dawg Rider
Looks good, and looks like the wait is wearing on you. You'll be polishing bolt heads if those parts don't hurry up and get there.
Local Indy just called and my wheels showed up today, so I think the only thing left is the stuff for my tank and my front turn signal relocates.

I leave for Mrytle Beach for a golf trip next week, hopefully when I get back everything will be here.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

bberck, what wheels are you going with? Are you using FXD mags chromed or something else that accepts that type of front rotor?

Did you happen to find chrome rotor bolts by chance? I looked everywhere but HD doesn't seem to sell them except for the floating front rotors and my indy told me nobody else sells them either. So I had to go with chrome hot toppers on my bolts.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
bberck, what wheels are you going with? Are you using FXD mags chromed or something else that accepts that type of front rotor?

Did you happen to find chrome rotor bolts by chance? I looked everywhere but HD doesn't seem to sell them except for the floating front rotors and my indy told me nobody else sells them either. So I had to go with chrome hot toppers on my bolts.
I bought the HD Chrome version of the stock wheels.

I got the chrome bolts for the back but like you couldnt find any for the front. Just planning on useing some hot toppers as well or thought about painting them black. Will probally paint them black then if I dont like it get the toppers.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Cool. Yeh I think I could find them for the back rotor but wanted them to match so used toppers on both. So far, they are holding up well.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:51 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

man, if you get a drill bit attachment that will make polishing those sucker so much easier... you can get them looking like chrome man

put the rotor on a board and run small round head screw in there so that it will not spin while you are having at it, then just get a set of the hook loop style bads for the attachment and 600, 700, 800, 900. 1000, 1500, 2000... glue these to the hook loop disks and let them dry over night, then cut the circles out. this will make it so that you can just tear off the lower grit and move right up... keep it wet, use polish, and go to town man... you can do better than that, you know you can... if not those rotors are just going to take away from your wheels and you know they will. do it right man.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:09 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

I'm all for doing it yourself. But if you don't already have the materials and don't want to spend the time, send the things off to get polished. I think I paid 65 bucks to get my front one polished and that included shipping both ways. For the rear, I did a swap for one that was already polished. Cost me a little more but didn't have to wait.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:18 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ill polish them for that and ship. let me know

Quick Reply: Polished my rotors