Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use a car oil filter on my SB????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 PM
tcabello
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I use a car oil filter on my SB????

I apologize because I suspect this has been asked and answered before...but can you use a regular auto filter on a Harley...I went to wally world today to get oil and filter...the chrome FRAM motorcycle oil filter was about $11.00 while a Fram Tough Guard (TG3682) looked to be about the same size and was around $6.00...plus I didn't want a chrome filter anyway and the tough guard filter is gray and black...so are there any issues with using a car filter on a scoot...thanks.

Last edited by tcabello; 02-15-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:15 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

There are issues with the fitting and application, plus I don't think I'd trust the oil bypass to be the same. It's just not worth messing with a low end filter, when the black HD filter is going to be about the same cost.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 PM
The Shute
Club Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by tcabello
I apologize because I suspect this has been asked and answered before...but can you use a regular auto filter on a Harley...I went to wally world today to get oil and filter...the chrome FRAM motorcycle oil filter was about $11.00 while a Fram Tough Guard (TG3682) looked to be about the same size and was around $6.00...plus I didn't want a chrome filter anyway and the tough guard filter is gray and black...so are there any issues with using a car filter on a scoot...thanks.
The black Bike filter is about $3.50 cheaper. That's the direction I go (hate Chrome) because your scooters black any way.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:23 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using the Bosch 3330 for the last 100,000 miles and have had zero problems. I have seen a bunch of filters cut apart and the Bosch is a very high quality filter. Fram is not so good.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:45 PM
tcabello
Tourer

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
I have been using the Bosch 3330 for the last 100,000 miles and have had zero problems. I have seen a bunch of filters cut apart and the Bosch is a very high quality filter. Fram is not so good.
Bosch 3330??...is this an auto filter???...I think Autozone sells this brand, is that correct?...thanks for the info.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:48 PM
tcabello
Tourer

Originally Posted by archergodwin
There are issues with the fitting and application, plus I don't think I'd trust the oil bypass to be the same. It's just not worth messing with a low end filter, when the black HD filter is going to be about the same cost.
It's not a cost issue...it's just that I live in a small town and we don't have a Harley dealer here...Wally world (wal mart) carries the Fram motorcycle filters but only in chrome and I prefer a non-chrome filter so that's why I was trying to get away with a car oil filter...not so much to save on money but for looks...however to want to ruin my engine due to looks...we do have a small custom shop but they carry drag specialties oil filters and those look kinda cheap...anyway thanks for the info...

Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tcabello
Bosch 3330??...is this an auto filter???...I think Autozone sells this brand, is that correct?...thanks for the info.
Yeah I think it fits toyotas or something. I have bought them at Autozone. You can find them just about anywhere. They are black with the Bosch name in red. Great filter.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM
jimmie d wad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fleet farm is where i buy mine.fram ph 6262 i believe.they have blk and chrome.next time you go to a bigger city buy 2 or 3

Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 PM
tcabello
Tourer

thanks for the info and advice...I appreciate it...

Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Kagan
Tourer

Just make sure it's rated at 5 micron filtration. The old H-D filters were 10's. Evo's still use 'em. The TwinCam motor uses piston skirt oilers and that's why it needs to be 5 micron.

Quick Reply: Can I use a car oil filter on my SB????