Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use a car oil filter on my SB????

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcabello
It's not a cost issue...it's just that I live in a small town and we don't have a Harley dealer here...Wally world (wal mart) carries the Fram motorcycle filters but only in chrome and I prefer a non-chrome filter so that's why I was trying to get away with a car oil filter...not so much to save on money but for looks...however to want to ruin my engine due to looks...we do have a small custom shop but they carry drag specialties oil filters and those look kinda cheap...anyway thanks for the info...

You don't need to have a Harley dealer near you. Figure out how much you ride and order 2 years of oil filters via the internet from any Harley dealer you like or any other after market vendor. The oil bypass spec is key as is the O-ring. Use a MOTORCYCLE rated filter for your bike (Harley, Amsoil, K&N, etc.) Do not be penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tcabello Run the bosch filter you just bought and you will be fine. Like I posted before I have run that filter at least 100,000 miles with zero problems. I don't run any other filter. I have run many different types of oil through it with no problems. The last time i tore down my motor for big bore and cams at 32,000 miles it was like new. I just changed bikes this year and I am running the Bosch on this one too. BTW I have also heard of people having problems with the mobil 1 filter.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:52 AM
jlkansascity
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil filter for 96" engine

Here is how to find the 96" bike filters. Kind of convoluted but it does seem to work for me. In the filter guide, select "cycle" in the first dropdown titled "select equipment type". In the second dropdown, select "Harley Davidson" in the "select make" dropdown.

Then, go directly to the "engine size" dropdown and pick the engine size you are interested in. So, for the 96" it shows an Amsoil EaOM134 for the 96". If you want chrome, you just add a "c" to the end of that part number; EaOM135c.

I also emailed Amsoil tech and asked why if you cross reference the WIX 51348 (for the 96") in the Amsoil filter cross reference, it says "not available" or something like that. Here is the response from Amsoil tech, basically it's ok to use the Ea051 to replace the wix, just not in a Toyota;

"If used in other than a Toyota built engine, the EaO51 can be used to replace the Wix 51348.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond to your question(s). As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance."

Amsoil also carries the WIX versions.

Hope this helps,

JL

Originally Posted by Glydiator
[/font][/color]

Just wanted to say I'm not recommending or discouraging using a car filter. Certainly if the specs for flow and filtration were not acceptable for a bike, then don't use one.
My post is to reflect on the quality/manufacturing of different brands as opposed to others. These manufacturers do make motorcycle filters, but you should check their specifications to make sure it's acceptable for your make/model of bike....but hell ya'll know that already

[color=black][font=Verdana]

I can't find any filters on the guide for 96" engines.

Last edited by jlkansascity; 02-18-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added additional information