Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys new chopped rear fender kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 PM
gdeese
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in a state like nc you have to have license plate kit so 195 chrome gloss black 185 for side mount plate kit thinking of doing mine this winter and powder tins

Old 11-12-2010, 04:05 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've gone back and forth on the chopped vs stock fender look many times. I don't trust myself to do the job right the first time on my fender, so I'd likely have someone else do it.

Then, depending on how well they do, there's touching it up or redoing the paint. I can see how this fender the MC is selling would be appealing, and everyone keeps knocking the look but it honestly looks no different from a hundred other chopped fenders I've seen here or on the road, the shocks just aren't lowered.

I'll probably go with a low-profile smoked tail light and call it good.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:28 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this kit and here are my thoughts on it. I paid $354 plus $20 shipping from Zanotti's for the vivid black kit. I bought it because my previous fender had the paint chipped when my bike was shipped from the States to England. The shipment was insured by the shipping company and a quote from a local body shop to fix my fender was about $400 (after the pounds to dollars conversion) so that's what I was given. I could have just fixed my original fender but I decided to buy this one instead.

For the price I think it was a great deal. Keep in mind that you get more than just a fender in this kit. You get a STT modul which alone is about $70 along with new turn signal wiring, the shorter turn signal stand-offs and various harware. I would say it's about $100 in just extra parts so really I ended up getting a brand new, factory painted fender for about $250.

As for looks, I think that the bike has to be lowered or it's going to look off.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:41 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

I bugged the MoCo for about a month after I bought my SB back in March as to why they didn't just offer the fender itself with out the everything else in the kit. Low and behold they finally decided to sale just the fender. So I ordered just the fender in vivid black, I think it cost me around $300 (which is about how much the body shop said it would cost me to paint the primered fender). When the box showed up it had a few exrta's in it (the whole kit was in it, so I saved $150 on behalf of the MoCo).
I installed it on my bike along with the Burly Rear Slammer Kit, no problems with wires rubbing. I think it looks really bad *** with the bike lowered.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I bugged the MoCo for about a month after I bought my SB back in March as to why they didn't just offer the fender itself with out the everything else in the kit. Low and behold they finally decided to sale just the fender. So I ordered just the fender in vivid black, I think it cost me around $300 (which is about how much the body shop said it would cost me to paint the primered fender). When the box showed up it had a few exrta's in it (the whole kit was in it, so I saved $150 on behalf of the MoCo).
I installed it on my bike along with the Burly Rear Slammer Kit, no problems with wires rubbing. I think it looks really bad *** with the bike lowered.
I need a rear fender paint job anyway, so I would be up for a new chopped rear fender for 300 bux if its painted already... Did you get the pt# for JUST the fender?

If I chop my full length fender I believe there are still all of the holes I would have to fill and thats a pain in the **** to remedy when you dont have a welder and have to pay retail for paintwork..

Last edited by parts eeter; 01-18-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

The one thing about chopped fenders that I've wondered about....doesn't your back get soaked from all the spray shooting up from the rear tire.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:22 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'm a minority, I like my stock fender and tag location. I think the side mounted plates stickout like a sore thumb.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 AM
83efi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought this kit as well. The fender is identical to my 2010 street bob fender without the holes for the hideous tail light. I didnt want the fender any higher, so I didnt want to bob it. Ive been wrenching for almost 20 years, but my body and welding skills are the pits. I priced a local body shop doing the work, and to fill the holes and repaint the fender it was cheaper to go with the fender kit. Plus I like my bike looking perfect as possible, and running touch up paint along the bottom of a cut fender would have driven me nuts. I bought mine new off a board member for cheaper, but I would have otherwise bought it from the dealer and $350 already painted to match my bike seems like a fair price to me. Just my opinion.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
The one thing about chopped fenders that I've wondered about....doesn't your back get soaked from all the spray shooting up from the rear tire.
It certainly does !

Old 01-18-2011, 12:04 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 83efi
I bought this kit as well. The fender is identical to my 2010 street bob fender without the holes for the hideous tail light. I didnt want the fender any higher, so I didnt want to bob it. Ive been wrenching for almost 20 years, but my body and welding skills are the pits. I priced a local body shop doing the work, and to fill the holes and repaint the fender it was cheaper to go with the fender kit. Plus I like my bike looking perfect as possible, and running touch up paint along the bottom of a cut fender would have driven me nuts. I bought mine new off a board member for cheaper, but I would have otherwise bought it from the dealer and $350 already painted to match my bike seems like a fair price to me. Just my opinion.
Well, I want to use this taillight which is basically the same as the stock Streetbob taillight but smaller and nicer with a tag bracket integrated into it. Thats good to know that the chopped kit from HD doesnt have any holes in it so I can drill my own holes. I dont like side mount tags and lights either. I just wonder if the taillight/tag combo I want to use would cover up holes in the stock Street Bob shorty fender,so that I could just snag a used Vivid Black fender for cheap and cover up the old holes with this setup?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Quick Reply: Harleys new chopped rear fender kit