Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed my Power Commander V

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Domenic, why is having to wrap the item in a baggie to protect it so bad in your eyes? Think of where it's being installed. It's not like its being hidden under a few thousand pounds of sheetmetal and fiberglass (car/suv/etc).

Old 02-16-2010, 01:31 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Vic, I agree that the item is well hidden and out of sight and a great fix by all to cure the problem. Is there instructions on how to prepare the install so water dose not effect performance of the Power Commander? If rain is getting on the part and effecting its performance with out the bag then it should not be installed where it is. If we rode in the rain and our bikes quit there would be a revolt and a march on Harley Headquarters. I think the manufacturers of the Power Commander should look at this issue as I believe its a big one.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Domenic, I can tell you I did not have any water issues with a 2-up seat. I guess there is just more coverage. I can't speak for anyone else but once I switched to a solo seat is when closer attention had to be paid to that connection with regards to water getting to it.

Most of us are altering where the PC gets installed because of the space requirement. OEM install states to install it underneath the fuseblock. There is a small compartment there. Installing it in a more sensible area (under the seat) happens to open it up to water. A slight alteration can fix that problem. I don't see that as something Dynojet should address since most of us made the choice not to follow their instructions.

I can understand why the SERT or similar item would work better because it's a software download to the OEM ECM and not a physical add-on like the PC III/V.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:59 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Vic that explains it.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Rocker_C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Domenic, I can tell you I did not have any water issues with a 2-up seat. I guess there is just more coverage. I can't speak for anyone else but once I switched to a solo seat is when closer attention had to be paid to that connection with regards to water getting to it.

Most of us are altering where the PC gets installed because of the space requirement. OEM install states to install it underneath the fuseblock. There is a small compartment there. Installing it in a more sensible area (under the seat) happens to open it up to water. A slight alteration can fix that problem. I don't see that as something Dynojet should address since most of us made the choice not to follow their instructions.

I can understand why the SERT or similar item would work better because it's a software download to the OEM ECM and not a physical add-on like the PC III/V.

I went out today to ride in a parade. It was raining and before I went 2 miles my bike started running very bad. Missing and back firing and would die at idle. MY PCV in only about 6 weeks old. The ECM connections for a Rocker is in front of the rear wheel and there is very little room to relocate it. There is cover but not much water protection. Apparently HD doesn't have an issue with that plug so I don't think Dynojet should. If they will not come up with a fix I will be returning it.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:46 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jackyl
never have had a problem with the PC III and been caught in all kinds of weather in the past few years. not sure what they changed on the PC V to make them take on water. jackyl
+1 here. Put dielectric grease in the connectors when I installed it and it has never given me a problem.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Big Jon 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rocker C, That is why I ended up getting rid of my PC-V. I was just tired of messing with it and worrying about it. Yeah I had to spend alot more money to get the SERT and a tune, but now it is reliable and I have peace of mind which is worth alot in my book. Good luck with whatever you choose to do about it. It is stressfull when you can't count on it running right.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:49 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Big Jon...I understand you already made your switch but since I packed dielectric grease in my connector I have yet to have an issue.

I have the PC under my seat and the connector is placed where the install tells you to put the PC.

It's been over a year now

Old 06-01-2010, 07:47 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Heads up:
On my fxd the hole where the wiring harness (lights) passes thru the rear fender was letting water & dirt enter behind the battery area. There also was another hole that's not used for anything. I was changing my seat when I only had 700 miles on the bike and noticed a bunch of crap had already leaked thru. I cant believe hd didn't attempt to seal the openings. I duct taped over them.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

The SERT is water resistant down to 100 feet.

Quick Reply: Removed my Power Commander V