Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swingarm upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 PM
super05
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
. If you look at the scale I would say 26 lbs (for the FXR swing arm) minus (-) 13 lbs = 13 lbs savings. To put that in prospective that is 13lbs/26lbs or 1/2. Fast forward, my bike weighs in at slightly less than 500 lbs due to a fuly adjustable inverted fork, metal matrix rotors, carbon fiber wheels, composite fenders, small thin seat, aluminum Penske shocks with titanium springs, chrome molly frame, and lastly my swing arm. I did not touch the TP motor weight other than to port, polish, add to cam cavity clearance, but added weight using a Bandit clutch and 6 speed. Another gullible person here. If one wished to own a aluminum swing arm before they die, so be it. Better than spending it on Michal Jackson's little boy hush fund! If one wishes to thrill with their HD, go for it.

Making a swing arm is not that easy, talking about it is, however. I found that not that many HD riders care too much about weight, performance, or for that matter, how their bike rides down the road. The real deal is if you made a rear fork and tried to live off of your earnings from performance oriented Harley Davidson owners. The folks making big shinny wheels, chrome gremlin bells, and assless chaps do quite well. Many on this forum do not know how to read a metric rule nor have a clue why great brakes are a good thing.

the OP was asked how much the new fork weighed - and has yet to respond. not sure where you get the 13lbs from? if that's from another swing arm then it really is not pertinent to this discussion.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:39 AM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sharkey
Removing 50+ pounds of unsprung weight makes the bike feel like it has power steering, especially in the really tight stuff and around town. One of my brothers has an 01 Dyna (same year/geometry as mine) and the difference is dramatic.
Ain,t that the truth sharkey.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Metmachex weight?

Any more information on the weight of the Metmachex aluminum swingarm? Jay