Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swingarm upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 278 Posts

Aluminummmmmmmm...

Really nice looking piece and good turnaround time, too... I see there's mounting points for a belt guard. I neglected to get that on my Sputhe arm...

Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From the looks of things there are a lot of gullible people in the world. I need to break out my tig welder and get busy. You have got to be kidding me, around $1000.00 to loose a few pounds. As the saying goes "A fool and his money are soon parted". He!!, take a big **** before you go riding. I heard a guy talking about this very thing several years ago. He was saying how he wanted to lighten up his bike but yet his old lady that rode with him was pushing 200lbs. If he needed to lighten anything it was his old lady.

Last edited by ghostrider69; 02-11-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
From the looks of things there are a lot of gullible people in the world. I need to break out my tig welder and get busy. You have got to be kidding me, around $1000.00 to loose a few pounds
. If you look at the scale I would say 26 lbs (for the FXR swing arm) minus (-) 13 lbs = 13 lbs savings. To put that in prospective that is 13lbs/26lbs or 1/2. Fast forward, my bike weighs in at slightly less than 500 lbs due to a fuly adjustable inverted fork, metal matrix rotors, carbon fiber wheels, composite fenders, small thin seat, aluminum Penske shocks with titanium springs, chrome molly frame, and lastly my swing arm. I did not touch the TP motor weight other than to port, polish, add to cam cavity clearance, but added weight using a Bandit clutch and 6 speed. Another gullible person here. If one wished to own a aluminum swing arm before they die, so be it. Better than spending it on Michal Jackson's little boy hush fund! If one wishes to thrill with their HD, go for it.

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
As the saying goes "A fool and his money are soon parted". He!!, take a big **** before you go riding.
Making a swing arm is not that easy, talking about it is, however. I found that not that many HD riders care too much about weight, performance, or for that matter, how their bike rides down the road. The real deal is if you made a rear fork and tried to live off of your earnings from performance oriented Harley Davidson owners. The folks making big shinny wheels, chrome gremlin bells, and assless chaps do quite well. Many on this forum do not know how to read a metric rule nor have a clue why great brakes are a good thing.

Last edited by FastHarley; 02-11-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:28 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

that swingarm is beautiful.... should the weight savings be good, you also get a true custom look to the rear that screams performance....now get it installed and get us some pictures quick...LOL... I am jealous.

...A smart man has enough disposable income to buy whatever the heck he wants!

Last edited by rounder; 02-12-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:46 AM
ged533
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All your fault sharkey your bike was the inspiration to go on a diet.diets are not cheap.ever tried jenny graig,weight watchers?i am 6 years old and weigh 632 lbs had to do something.maybe i can get photoshoped wheels like ghostrider.he he

Old 02-12-2010, 06:49 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ged533
All your fault sharkey your bike was the inspiration to go on a diet.diets are not cheap.ever tried jenny graig,weight watchers?i am 6 years old and weigh 632 lbs had to do something.maybe i can get photoshoped wheels like ghostrider.he he
hahaha. All in all the swingarm looks nice.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:56 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

If you ever ride your bike in a moderatly aggressive way, you will appreciate what you are doing...in any discussions reguarding performance I've never heard anyone recommend more weight or more chrome.
I'd like to get mine under 600lbs with a half tank of gas; it's at 607 now. The piece I'm working on next has nothing to do with performance or weight, but so far has cost under $100...hope to have a pic soon.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the direction I'll be going in the future. It isn't just removing weight, it's where it's coming from that counts.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Removing 50+ pounds of unsprung weight makes the bike feel like it has power steering, especially in the really tight stuff and around town. One of my brothers has an 01 Dyna (same year/geometry as mine) and the difference is dramatic.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:24 PM
super05
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks nice but ugly graphics. for $1k you probably don't need to advertise for them?

Quick Reply: swingarm upgrade