Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tightening the Compensator nut

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 04:56 PM
JohnRichard
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusred
WOW, I am truely floored, I'll take my BS flag now and stick it in my mouth. I have honestly never seen such a procedure in writing or practice but you guys have obviously seen technical data that stands as proof. I just am struggling to embrace that idea, do you realize how much variance that can allow, from one person to the next. Does sound like though that procedue might be prior to 06 models if I am understanding this right though, sorry for any misleading on my part fellas.
Ever see the spec for tightening the headbolts on a 91 Evo. Torque to a specific value them make a reference mark on the bolt and head surface. Then (rotate) tighten an additional 90 degrees. Dumbest spec I've ever seen. James gaskets give a proper torque spec and sequence,

Old 05-24-2021, 05:09 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,394 Likes on 5,002 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRichard
Ever see the spec for tightening the headbolts on a 91 Evo. Torque to a specific value them make a reference mark on the bolt and head surface. Then (rotate) tighten an additional 90 degrees. Dumbest spec I've ever seen. James gaskets give a proper torque spec and sequence,
Obviously you do not understand the process..

Dumb it is not, this process has been used for at least 60 years on jet engines...and many other types of high tech machinery.

It is a much more accurate way to determine the amount of tension there is on a fastener.

I know this is a long dead thread, but I couldn`t let this one pass....

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-24-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:13 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 871 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Yeah, me too. It's called "torque to yield" and is much more precise than just cranking it down until the wrench clicks. In fact, the tighter you have to go the more precise it gets as you are minimizing the effects of friction between the parts.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:40 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by John CC
Yeah, me too. It's called "torque to yield" and is much more precise than just cranking it down until the wrench clicks. In fact, the tighter you have to go the more precise it gets as you are minimizing the effects of friction between the parts.
It`s called torque to degree...

The fact that a fastener is torqued to degrees does not mean it is a torque to yield fastener, lots of fasteners that are torqued to degrees are not torqued to yield, and are reusable.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:57 AM
JohnRichard
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Obviously you do not understand the process..

Dumb it is not, this process has been used for at least 60 years on jet engines...and many other types of high tech machinery.

It is a much more accurate way to determine the amount of tension there is on a fastener.

So you can eyeball exactly 90 degrees? There is no tool from HD to accurately measure this.
As a former tool and die inspector who also measured the flatness of gauge blocks to within a few angstrom units (one ten-billionth of a metre) I understand the process. If the process is so much accurate, why is there no tool available to measure it.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:58 AM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 551 Likes on 321 Posts
The following users liked this post:
stilup (05-31-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 12:00 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,032 Likes on 600 Posts

So you can eyeball exactly 90 degrees? There is no tool from HD to accurately measure this.
As a former tool and die inspector who also measured the flatness of gauge blocks to within a few angstrom units (one ten-billionth of a metre) I understand the process. If the process is so much accurate, why is there no tool available to measure it.
I’ve always just used the grade identification lines as a reference. It’s not rocket surgery.

The following users liked this post:
DutchJo (03-02-2023)
Old 05-25-2021, 12:05 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

A tool to measure 90 degrees? Don`t be ridiculous.

If you can`t figure out 90 degrees you are in trouble, it is simply a quarter turn.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-25-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:40 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,969 Likes on 2,858 Posts

FWIW, I had an M-B car engine with dimples on both ends of the con rod bolts, you measured first, then torqued and then remeasured the bolt length /stretch with anvil micrometers.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:05 PM
damager1
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusred
I'd go with the manual personally. If HD wants to update their manuals for this value they need to make their consumers aware of it by a SB, TSB, EA or something. I would then ask how the tech came about that calculation for your particular year, model, ect.
And further more, I'm a mechanic by trade also, and in my twenty years of wrenching, I've torqued an astronomical amount of fasteners, whether on cars, trucks, motorcycles or mostly jets, and I've have never heard of a mfg calling out a torque like that. Even in aviation I have come across numerous specialty tools digital protractors, inclinometers, but none are used for load or bearing seating (ie, torque). Your calculation of 40 deg in addition to mfg torque = 200ft pounds, maybe, your calculated eye might be different than my calculated eye, and that's the biggest reason I would shoot this down and say BS.
I agree with this. When it comes to the primary I follow the manual to the LETTER.

Quick Reply: Tightening the Compensator nut