Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you:
Macho
5.76%
More Macho than Wussy
5.76%
More Wussy than Macho
2.16%
Wussy
4.32%
Don't know
3.60%
Whatever dude ....
71.22%
Not Applicable
7.19%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Macho v. Wussy - what are you? Poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:02 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Macho v. Wussy - what are you? Poll

The following is a quote I recently saw on another thread:
"Saddlebags are for riders that insist they have to be comfortable riding a motorcycle, or they are staying home. It might rain, I'm not riding. It's windy, I'm staying home. It's too hot, it's too cold. What happened to testing oneself? [section omitted to remove identifying info.] I don't require a tall windshield, a fairing, saddlebags, floorboards, forward controls, tour pac, crash bars, LED everything, pulsating headlight, fatbob gas tank, air ride, ABS, 180MM tires, billet anything, EFI, 95"+ motor, wide glide front end, GPS, radio/intercom helmets, digital gauges, the list goes on endlessly. The arguments to my feelings about all that crap are, it looks cool or I'm making my bike my own. PLEASE, if you are BOLTING anything on you purchased from a catalog, you are not an individual. Yes, I'm a macho ***** to say the least. But, I'm proud to be a tough man who takes chances in my life. Try it sometime, it might help you feel ALIVE. Warning, it won't be comfortable."
I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but thought this opinion had some ideas that were worthy of further discussion.

I find that I agree in some respects and disagree with others respects with the originator of the quote (who I decline to identify, but he may well opine on this thread for all I know/care--feel free).

My position is that it is not so important what you ride, but that you ride ... In my opinion, you could take any number of items on that list of 'frivolities' and take it further ... "floorboards, forward controls" ... oh yeah? Who needs foot pegs at all? If you got foot pegs on your bike, you're a wuss! You got a 95" motor? Who needs 95"? He11, who needs 88" or 80" for that matter, if you got more than a 74" ... no, I take it back, ... a 61" motor, you're a wuss!

I'm a Macho *****, too ... oh wait, I'm a wuss I own a cage ... but, I'm a macho wuss ... I don't need a V-8 or a V-6, I drive a wooden box with a Briggs and Stratton one cylinder motor and a pup tent for a soft top ... if you have a steel body or chrome bumper or turn signals, you're a wuss ....

My point is that just because something came out of a box that came from the MoCo and was bolted on ... because you thought it looked cool ... does that may you any less of a 'biker' or 'purist' or 'macho *****' ...? I think the fact that those who are reading this--most anyway--own (and for the most part ride) Harley Davidson Dyna Glide models are 'taking the same chance' the originator of the statement takes ... they enjoy feeling 'ALIVE' ... and ride as much as their circumstances will allow.

I guess maybe I don't see it on here (Dyna section) as on other forums, the whole "real biker" discussion, but I just think it gets a little old ....

I am generally dismayed to see an ad for a bike that says (something to the effect) "10 year old Harley with 1,000 miles ... never seen rain" ... after all, what's the point of having a bike ...? It may be a work of art in one's eyes, but a rideable work of art that was meant as a form of transportation ....

Do I ride as much as some? Does my bike have as many miles as someone else's '05? Maybe more, or maybe less than others; but, I think it is generally worthless to trash other forum members for posting threads about "bolt-on mods" ... it must have some personal importance to the poster to even raise the question, and there are typically at least a few responses to each thread ....

What does everyone else think ...?

R/
'Chop

Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ride when I want and put whatever I want on my bike, and if someone doesn't like it F*ck'em. Am I mancho? Wuss? Don't know, don't care. If some one has problem with what other people do, then they have a complex that goes back a long ways. If it doesn't effect you then why would you care what some one else does?

Last edited by PistonPuller; 02-08-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A real man is not someone parading around with low self esteem putting others down cause of the choices they choose to make in their lives...It's not some schmuck that starts fights and brags about their pathetic useless accomplishments...It's not some fool carrying a gun cause he thinks it makes him tough and not to be messed with....it the Humble man with Real confidence that makes a man real. It sure as hell is not the guy that wrote the quote text above! A man stands up for himself....a real man stands up for those that can't stand up for themselves!

A man that acts "macho"....lol....any real man knows right away that he is just putting up a front to hide his insecurities.
I always thought saddlebags were a place to put stuff in. That windshields will allow other to perhaps ride longer and enjoy themselves more. That it is is a good idea to be seen as opposed to run over by having brighter lights. That having pegs in the right location or floorboards is a good idea to allow someone to fit to the bike so they can ride it.

I wonder if this guy flips up the toilet seat to take a crap.... real men don't need toilet seats....LOL.... jokin of course.....

Oh yeah...eddie murphy days of saturday night live.... the skit about toilet paper.... Macho wipe!!!!! It was a roll of sandpaper...Sooo funny....

Last edited by rounder; 02-08-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM
pugs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever. If someone wants to ride on a spike sticking out of the battery because it hurts more and make them more of a man good for them. I respect their ability to ride whatever they want. And I respect people who are able to put that spike there without any help (sarcasm aside, I do really respect the ability to modify and wrench one's own bike). If someone else wants to have a sofa cushion ontop of their touring seat, good for them too. To each his or her own. I am happy with the things that I bolt on, buy, put on my bike and I am fine if someone else thinks I am less of a man for it. A real man does give a shi!t what others think. Anyone who enjoys riding has something in common with me which, from my perspective is pretty cool. And I take those chances that I feel are the chances I want to take. Others aren't worth it to me, so, again, to each his or her own.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:15 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At least he admitted to being a *****, I can believe that. As far as Macho goes, I thought anybody who was "Macho" didn't have to remind/tell anybody....

Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No clue were I fall in nor do I care.

I ride as much as I can usually over 10k a year most my firends only get to put 3k or so on theirs, but its usually more of having time thing. Just because I have more time to ride than alot of people just makes me luckier is all. I do things to my bike that I like. Is it alot bolt on stuff ya it is but I bolted it it on there because I liked it or it made my ride more enjoyable. Isnt most everything you do to the bike bolt on anyway. I mean replacing the rocker covers technically just bolts on so is that a bolt on mod, no clue.

I do things to make it more comfortable if that makes me a wuss I can live with that because it allows me to ride more. I ride because I enjoy it not for what anyone else thinks.

I take pride that I have done all my work and maintenace my self but in no way look down on people that dont. There are lots of things that I can but also lots of stuff I cant. Everyone is different in there abilities. I am having someone paint my tank and fender because I cant paint worth a crap.

As far as what a bike needs, no it doesnt need to be modded but to me part of the enjoyment of having a bike is doing those mods and working on the bike however small those things might be.

Last edited by bberck; 02-08-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:29 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No one has ever walked up to me in the bar parking lot to call me a ***** for having forward controls. That **** only happens on the internet.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He says comfortable? Does he see what seat I'm sporting! LOL! Seriously, what's he even doing on the forum anyway, shouldn't he be out riding? I ride as much as I can, when I can.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:43 PM
fhansen
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I enjoy seeing how people have modified their bikes even though I'm not into it much myself-but then cultivating a macho ***** attitude hasn't been a great aspiration for me either.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I walk into my stealer's parts dept. and plunk down that AmEx card they think I am the most macho dude in the place.

Quick Reply: Macho v. Wussy - what are you? Poll