Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decrapifying my Dyna.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:00 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Decrapifying my Dyna.

Thought I'd share, I know how we like pictures. I'm halfway through the process of "demodernizing" or "decrapifying" my FXDX. Friday night ALL the factory ignition, controllers, and wiring came out and all sensors were removed or tagged to be removed and plugged. I've probably taken about 100lbs or so worth of unnecessary stuff off of this bike since I brought it home. Now that all the over-complicated factory electronics are removed, I can start from scratch with a nice, compact, simple chopper wiring scheme using my Thunderheart ignition system.
http://www.thunder-heart.com/Electronic/asm5012.html
This will be my first wiring job on a bike, but I've messed around with a lot of car audio systems and a couple simple jobs on hot rods. I guess I never did those jobs the Proper way, so yesterday I bought a soldering setup and taught myself how to use it. Here is a small portion of what's been removed, excluding bags, windshield, fringe, etc...

All of this was inside of a two wheeled vehicle. Hardly necessary. Just think, my bike is carb'd, imagine how much of this crap is in the FI bikes!

All of that rat nest will be replaced with this simple, compact setup. (Factory regulator/stator will be retained, the crank position sensor is the ONLY sensor that will be used. All others will be scrapped and their holes filled.)

This is how the bike will be wired, not shown are the charging system(regulator/stator) and the few accessories that will be wired in. (head/tail light and horn.) A speedo/tach will not be used.

Just for the hell of it, this is the bike with a big hole where all the factory electronics and battery go/went and the tank parallel with the backbone.

and this is the view until the tank gets chopped up (shaved, narrowed, and slightly Frisco'd) and I take a grinder to the lever perches to get them smoothed out. (still need to buy an aftermarket throttle assembly. stock grips from newer model HD's-free from a very nice HD service man)

Last edited by CountryPunk; 02-07-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Going to look very clean

Old 02-07-2010, 11:04 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

So what's the purpose of this? Didn't your bike run fine as it was? Seems like a waste of time to me as I'm sure the minimal amount of weight removed from the factory wiring wouldn't make that much of a difference. You couldn't see the wires before so it's not like it was an eyesore.
Just curious why you would rip out factory wiring to replace it with more wiring unless the bike wasn't running right.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 02-07-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:08 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

great work!!!! You forgot something.... those heavy *** passenger floorboards. Hmmm....add aluminum rims, weightless rotors...wow. could be one really light dyna! Don't worry about the wiring... it's easy to do. Wait a minute, I don't see any fuses here. Another cool mod would be the V&H competition exhaust... lot of weight savings there. Oh and you should feel how light my Ohlins are over stock shocks.

Last edited by rounder; 02-07-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:15 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior

There are faults in the factory setup that are a pain to deal with. Read the threads about people just removing the electronics from their bars, a total headache. There are systems that rely on other systems that rely on other systems from the factory. This way, there is no guess work left if any problems occur. All of the factory systems and sensors are not necessary to control an engine that spins a wheel. This wasn't done for weight loss, it's just a small benefit. I plan on modifying the area where the electrical panel and battery box are as well. I haven't decided How exactly yet. (I just realized I haven't answered your question. No, the bike didn't run fine as it was. Between the previous owners shoddy electrical work and my constant removing of parts, it made more sense to start over. Besides, this aftermarket ignition is much more functional than OEM, it's a fully computer programmable performance ignition.)

Last edited by CountryPunk; 02-07-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:28 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rounder
great work!!!! You forgot something.... those heavy *** passenger floorboards. Hmmm....add aluminum rims, weightless rotors...wow. could be one really light dyna! Don't worry about the wiring... it's easy to do. Wait a minute, I don't see any fuses here. Another cool mod would be the V&H competition exhaust... lot of weight savings there. Oh and you should feel how light my Ohlins are over stock shocks.
I so wish I could remove those damn floorboards. They are the ONE thing my wife asked that I leave alone on the bike, she loves 'em. I'm not doing all the crazy weight reduction stuff, that's not my reason for this project. My bike was out of service due to a broken drive belt anyway and I can't leave sh*t alone! lol I haven't overlooked fuses, they're just not included in Thunderheart's diagram. I don't see where fuses are necessary in That diagram at least. (I'm using a 20 amp marine ignition key start, this eliminates the need for a starter relay.) They will be used for accessories of course. I love the V&H competition exhaust, it's not made for my bike though. I don't want to spend $600 or more on a pipe that will need modification. I can't help it, I just prefer 2-2 exhaust. I'm torn between the bassani pro streets and the hookers. (mid length, staggered rebels) I hope Johnny Bravo doesn't mind me using his pic, I just really like these pipes. Nice and simple. I love the Ohlins and the Works you like to advertise, I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a set of shocks. Maybe one day, though...

Last edited by CountryPunk; 02-07-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:38 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
There are faults in the factory setup that are a pain to deal with. Read the threads about people just removing the electronics from their bars, a total headache. There are systems that rely on other systems that rely on other systems from the factory. This way, there is no guess work left if any problems occur. All of the factory systems and sensors are not necessary to control and engine that spins a wheel. This wasn't done for weight loss, it's just a small benefit. I plan on modifying the area where the electrical panel and battery box are as well. I haven't decided How exactly yet. (I just realized I haven't answered your question. No, the bike didn't run fine as it was. Between the previous owners shoddy electrical work and my constant removing of parts, it made more sense to start over. Besides, this aftermarket ignition is much more functional than OEM, it's a fully computer programmable performance ignition.)
10-4 sir.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:57 AM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
I hope Johnny Bravo doesn't mind me using his pic, I just really like these pipes.
you know what else from my bike would look great on yours, my mid controls.....you wanna trade for your forwards...Heh heh heh.....oh and my mag rims would look awesome on your bike if you wanna trade for the spoke wheels..... lol

Old 02-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice man. You have some interesting ideas concerning your bike and I think the simple wiring is great for your ride.

I want to build/modify something similar myself. A simple, barebones motorcycle.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:11 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

smoooooth!!!!!jackyl

Quick Reply: Decrapifying my Dyna.