Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decrapifying my Dyna.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:11 PM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're just some used, 11" cheapies I bought off eBay. I think they're made by Showa, not sure.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:35 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

punk if you're taking suggestions on what to do with the big open space left on ure bike might i suggest picking up a old-school chopper style oil bag to mount in there.

since you wouldn't exactly need it for oil...you could fab up a hinge and make one end of it a kind of trap door...a simple key lock and viola! you've got yourself a very discreet one-off storage bag.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:56 AM
fwms
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see / hear the results. Keep us posted!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 09:37 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Not to hijack your thread CP, but I really gotta take a moment to admire Rounder's '05 FXDC ....

I think that photo right there argues heavily in favor of the V&H Big Radius ....

Interesting concept in total simplification you are undertaking ... I sometimes think of something along those lines myself ....

Then, I think: "Screw it ... bike is okay as is ... what I really want is a simple panhead [or maybe a shovel or evo] in a hard tail frame with that same wiring harness and two wheels ...." A kicker so you don't have to worry about wiring an electric starter .... That is the way I conceptualize my simplification regime ....

Good luck with it ... hard to go wrong ... screw the 'naysayers' ....

R/
'Chop

Old 02-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You will need at a minimum FUSES or circuit breakers:

ISOLATE and PROTECT THESE CIRCUITS
1) Ignition system
2) Headlight & Tail Light
3) Brake Light
4) Starter system
5) MAIN (or a master breaker for the charging system)

?) *Instruments

I of course assume you will have no turn signals, horn, * fuel guage & electric speedo.

Nothing is worse than an old 1 fuse system.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:31 PM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lama, that's exactly the information I needed next. I'm about to begin drawing up a final wiring schematic, with all systems/circuits and fuses, etc..I wasn't sure Which parts of the system needed to be fused, now I need to find out what Size fuses I need for each. I had no intention to run the system without some kind of protection. I want the wiring simplified, not dangerous. lol No signals, gauges, speedo, etc...Other than the ignition and charging system, I believe the only electronics will be headlight hi/lo, brake/tail light, and a horn. (TX law) I also need to figure out what I'm going to do about a brake light switch. I still have the brake switch on the rear master cylinder, but that would only activate if I used the rear brake. (I would think, at least.) I haven't looked into if I can reuse the factory brake switch on the brake lever.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:52 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Not to hijack your thread CP, but I really gotta take a moment to admire Rounder's '05 FXDC ....

I think that photo right there argues heavily in favor of the V&H Big Radius ....

Interesting concept in total simplification you are undertaking ... I sometimes think of something along those lines myself ....

Then, I think: "Screw it ... bike is okay as is ... what I really want is a simple panhead [or maybe a shovel or evo] in a hard tail frame with that same wiring harness and two wheels ...." A kicker so you don't have to worry about wiring an electric starter .... That is the way I conceptualize my simplification regime ....

Good luck with it ... hard to go wrong ... screw the 'naysayers' ....

R/
'Chop
Hey thanks for the compliment... Bike looks nothing like that anymore though...Best part about the bike in that state was when it was standing still...I could not ride it like I wanted to. The 11" shocks were too low and rode like a dump truck, the torque curve sucked through midrange, 2 up was a disaster... So raised the rear with 12" Ohlins, running drag bars with 8" risers now, blacked it all out...added a fatcat....improved the front suspension....now it flat out can be ridden hard and comfortably solo and 2up.... and it's all black like I like. Not to mention the speedo in the fuel gauge location....

Old 02-08-2010, 02:05 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice man!!! hey if you are going to junk the stock controls and buttons and wires man can i have them? i want to pre wire a set of bars and make them quick release. if not no big deal. looks good though man!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:17 PM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRK5892
Nice man!!! hey if you are going to junk the stock controls and buttons and wires man can i have them? i want to pre wire a set of bars and make them quick release. if not no big deal. looks good though man!
wow...now theres a great idea...pre-wired quick release bars to change at whim....drag bars to apes in 5 minutes.....I like it!!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo
wow...now theres a great idea...pre-wired quick release bars to change at whim....drag bars to apes in 5 minutes.....I like it!!!!
your forgetting about the clutch brake and throttle cables....

Quick Reply: Decrapifying my Dyna.