Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences in inner primary cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005 | 02:06 AM
helotaxi
|
Cruiser
Default Differences in inner primary cover

From what I can tell, it looks like the only difference between the FXDWG inner primary cover and the one for the rest of the FXD line is the bearing race for the mid shifter and the cutout on the back side for the shifter linkage arm. Does anyone know for a fact if that is the only difference.

The reason I want to know is I want forward controls on my Low Rider and I don't want the little nub sticking out of the inspection cover where the mid shifter lever is. I want a chrome inner cover and if the WG inner will do what I want (obviously need a WG inspection cover also) I will get it from the start and do all the work at once.

Old 05-28-2005 | 11:25 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Differences in inner primary cover

They are the same. The motor\transmission setup is the same on all the Dynas.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-28-2005 | 12:07 PM
helotaxi
|
Cruiser

The same how? I realize that the engine and trans themselves are the same, but the inner primary covers are different. Different part numbers and internally different.
FXD inner primary cover
FXDWG inner primary cover
If you look at view 2 (view 1 on the FXD version shows a touring model), right next to the large cutout on the right side is a small round hole for the shifter on the FXD and on the FXDWG the hole is not drilled out. Is that the only difference? I'm thinking that it is, but I want to know 100% before I lay out the coin. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2005 | 02:27 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

The view you show of the FXD, is a misprint I'm guessing. That is a picture of the primary cover for ElectraGlides. I think you will find that the only difference in the WideGlide and the FXD is the hole in the back of the inner primary, and the hole in the inspection cover of the outer primary for the shift shaft. Both use the long inner and outer primary, as opposed to the shorter one for the touring model. You will notice on Dynas and Softails, that the inspection cover on the outer primary is longer than on the touring models, and that the primary cases are longer.

They make a chrome cover for the shift shaft that makes the original primary look clean, and is a lot cheaper and easier to do than changing the rear primary.

Just a thought.

regards,

Bill

Old 05-28-2005 | 03:27 PM
helotaxi
|
Cruiser

That is what I was looking for, thanks.

I want the new inner primary cover, I just wanted to make sure that the WG piece differed only in that the holes weren't there. Means that I can use it and get rid of the holes all together, doing the forward control conversion and inner primary cover replacement all at once.