Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why wont my darn bike start???!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 AM
FireRyder09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why wont my darn bike start???!!

So tonight was another makeover for the bike, putting on the nash drag bars. Got everything on, but for some reason, I keep blowing my 15A Fuse, and that fuse is the ignition fuse. I dont know why but I get power to everything else, Im just losing that fuse, Ive already used two and both have blown. what the F?? Assistance please!

Here are some crappy pics from the phone. What ya'll think? Prefer these or the 12 inch apes before?

Attached Thumbnails Why wont my darn bike start???!!-drag1.jpg   Why wont my darn bike start???!!-drag2.jpg  
Old 02-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just checking, but have you traced out the wires and made sure you don't have a cut wire, pinched, or shorted out somewhere?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 AM
bmf73
Advanced

I would start with checking inside your right side control. It is pretty easy to pinch a wire or bend a contact while putting it back together. It could be causing a dead short and blowing the fuse.
Don't ask how I know.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 AM
FireRyder09
Cruiser

That must be it, because I had to drill the holes/rectangles myself to fit the internal wiring, so I may have not made it large enought and it could be pinching the wires. I had checked for that earlier and the only "pinching" I saw was on the wires for the turn signals.

Would this still be causing the fuse to blow even if its not pinching the ignition wire?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Glydiator
Tourer

Originally Posted by FireRyder09
That must be it, because I had to drill the holes/rectangles myself to fit the internal wiring, so I may have not made it large enought and it could be pinching the wires. I had checked for that earlier and the only "pinching" I saw was on the wires for the turn signals.

Would this still be causing the fuse to blow even if its not pinching the ignition wire?

if you drill or cut holes to run wires through, you might want to consider either filing them or getting some grommets. Those sharp edges can cause you some real problems either now or down the road....

down the road really sucks if you're.....well...down the road.

shortcuts = shorts & cuts :P

ok that was stupid.....

Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

pinched wire most certainly. could be the area by the switch housing itself. Gotta make sure you can move the wires freely through the bars once run. So there should be some slack. you definitely want the holes as smooth as you can get them. also you could put some slilcone around the edging of the holes(what I did) and let it dry. that will help cover up the edges to make for a safer surface for the wires to be next to. I also recommend the wires be run through their protective sleeve or maybe double shrink wrap them or wrap good with electrical tape for lots of protection from possible problems on any edges. FWIW I pinched the orange and white wire myself when installing my bars right at the housing. Nothing to do with the holes just not careful that the wires were good and clear of the housing. this blew my battery fuse, I had no start or right turn signals because of this.