Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rigid Solo Rack mounting outside fender struts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010 | 07:59 AM
gearedforacure
|
Cruiser
Default Rigid Solo Rack mounting outside fender struts?

I got a rigid solo rack for my 07 bob, but I want to be able to quickly remove it. Some would ask why I didnt get the quick detach rack and the answer is I think the QD hardware is ugly...anyways...I am wondering if instead of mounting the rack on the inside of the fender struts if I can bend\widen it a bit to mount it on the outside of the struts. I currently have a turn signal relocation kit on and the strut covers removed. I think it will look bad when mounted, but I am only going to be using the rack to get from point A to point B. I dont ever want it on at point A or B. My only concern is that it will scrape up the fender struts...

Would love to hear from someone who has done this, and maybe has pictures, or someone who has tried and failed.

Old 02-04-2010 | 08:27 AM
panic_fan
Tourer

You may find widening it a bit more of a challenge. It will need to be widened more than an inch and will probably tend to flare out instead of a uniform spread. That would make the mounting holes line up all ****-eyed. Have you considered just notching the holes in the side plates? Several people have taken that route with sissy bars.

Old 02-04-2010 | 08:50 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

I hate to rain on the parade, but isn’t it going to look way more jacked up to try to do what you are talking about than the proper fitting quick detach hardware?

I’m not picturing what the rigid mount turn signal relocation kit does, but I imagine it to provide space on the inside so that you keep the admittedly more attractive turn signal housing as it butts up against the rails?

If that’s the case…..then you want to have your slick turn signal case loose with enough space to jam the rigid mount in there temporarily? How is that going to ever work and not look like **** when the rack isn’t there to keep the turn signal stalk covers from just loosely hanging there?

I have the quick detach and I’m not trying to be defensive of it, but I guess I can’t help it. I think it looks perfectly acceptable in my opinion.

Old 02-04-2010 | 10:06 AM
JRK5892
Banned

will not work. when powdered the quick release hardware vanishes

Old 02-04-2010 | 10:20 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

I don't know about looks, but I used a bottle jack to spread the legs of a detachable solo rack about an inch to fit my FatBob fender. It is springy steel, so you will need to spread it maybe by three or four inches, whatever you are comfortable with, and let it set for awhile (perhaps a little heat to speed the process). I only needed to spread the front legs as the rear just came along. When you release the tension it will spring back but not quite back to the original.

But I don't think the detachable hardware kit (53964-06) is that noticeable. May not notice if you weren't looking for it .... but its one of those judgment things.

Old 02-04-2010 | 11:10 AM
gearedforacure
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
I hate to rain on the parade, but isn’t it going to look way more jacked up to try to do what you are talking about than the proper fitting quick detach hardware?

I’m not picturing what the rigid mount turn signal relocation kit does, but I imagine it to provide space on the inside so that you keep the admittedly more attractive turn signal housing as it butts up against the rails?

If that’s the case…..then you want to have your slick turn signal case loose with enough space to jam the rigid mount in there temporarily? How is that going to ever work and not look like **** when the rack isn’t there to keep the turn signal stalk covers from just loosely hanging there?

I have the quick detach and I’m not trying to be defensive of it, but I guess I can’t help it. I think it looks perfectly acceptable in my opinion.
The turn signal relocation moves them to the tail light so there are just two panhead bolts on the fender struts. I dont doubt that it will look somewhat jacked up when the rack is on the bike, but im talking about having the rack on the bike for 8 hours then taking it off for months at a time and putting it back on for 8 hours. The quick detatch hardware is there permanently.

I understand that it will flare the ends and things wont line up right, but then ill just bend the ends inward to get them to line up again. The mounts on the rack I bought are already bent a little bit, I had to bend them back just to get them straight (I got a good deal).

The notching idea could work, but it seems like you would scratch the crap out of the fender during installation and removal...can anyone confirm that?

Old 02-04-2010 | 11:59 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

I seem to remember about a year ago someone put some kind of spacer or washers between the fender strut and fender just so they could remove and install a luggage rack (I think it was a luggage rack, may have been bags) without tearing up the fender. I wouldn't know what words to search for. I imagine "luggage rack" or "removable rack" would turn up hundreds of posts.

Last edited by ColdCase; 02-04-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2010 | 12:05 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Ok, that’s not what I had pictured at all. I hope it works out for ya! I was at first really disappointed that the detachable was chrome and not black like my Nightster detachable, but I just learned to live with it and now it doesn’t even phase me. It works and it works really well when I need it is all that I care about. Hopefully your idea will work as well.

Old 02-04-2010 | 12:24 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

Have you thought about a motherwells rack. 2 screws and it comes off and doesnt leave anything on the bike. Just a thought if your idea doesnt work.

Old 02-04-2010 | 12:29 PM
gearedforacure
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bberck
Have you thought about a motherwells rack. 2 screws and it comes off and doesnt leave anything on the bike. Just a thought if your idea doesnt work.
yea, I initially was going that route, but I was concerned with the weight capacity of the motherwell rack and it looks like there is a high probability of it chewing up your fender. I am also not sure how sturdy it is being mounted by two bolts in the center of the fender, not to any piece of the frame. Maybe those are unfounded concerns, but when I found a deal on the rigid rack I jumped on it.

Quick Reply: Rigid Solo Rack mounting outside fender struts?