Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 AM
NOZEM
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch Cable

Quick question: 05 FXDCI V&H short shots, do I need to remove the exhaust in order to change the clutch cable?

Thanks

Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 AM
fixxr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would,it's real tight and you don't want to chance having a leaky gasket!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:32 PM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my clutch cable without removing my V&H Shortshots no problem. That was on an 07 Street Bob, can,t say an 05 would be the same but i,d have thought it would be ok.
One tip... be careful with the new gasket the one i fitted tried to "curl" inside the cover. Just ensure all the bolts are located through the gasket before tightening. Oh and a strong pair of pullers to release the circlip on the inside..... assuming the 05,s are like the 07,s.
Good luck and as always take your time and double check everything.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:19 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts
Default link to clutch cable swap thread

Hey, Arie!

Here's a link to a Clutch Cable Swap thread....has some useful info on this subject.

Your Clymer book has good info and images as well.

Don't forget to get a new gasket before you start and to oil the cable while it's off.

Here is the process as described by keener in this thread: quick-easy-way-to-lube-clutch-cable

Originally Posted by Keener
Or any cable for that matter. I recently did this process, but have no pics. Sorry...

Start by removing the clip on the bottom side of clutch lever pivot pin. Then remove pin.
Slide lever out of bracket, and take lever off of cable.
Now get a baggie and a smaller rubber band and lube of your choice. I used motor oil I had in the garage (don't ask what kind, or if you can change to synthetic please). OK, make a small hole in the corner of the baggie, then slide the baggie over the cable. Now, wrap the rubber band around the baggie and cable where they meet. You should have a tight seal around the baggie and cable, with the cable sticking out of the bottom of the baggie just a bit. Add a glurp of oil into the baggie, and prop up the cable with a towel so it doesn't fall off your handle bars. Go inside. After an hour or so the oil will trickle down the cable and lube it like butter. You will find a bit of residual leakage on your clutch cable at the adjuster nut when you are done. Wipe it off, reinstall clutch lever, and you are done. 10 minutes, cheap parts, and does the job.

Hopefully you can make sense of my overview-

Originally Posted by dawg
To put it in pictorial perspective.....
René

Old 02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another tip. I have tendonitis in my left arm so easy clutch action is critical. My 82 FXRS nearly ended my riding career due to the stiffness of the clutch. Graybeard gave me a great tip - before you install the new cable, put some liquid graphite in one end and work the inner cable in and out until you get graphite out the other end. Really smooths out the cable and makes a huge difference. The liquid that the graphite is suspended in evaporates leaving just the dry lube behind.

I now do this on all my bikes, even the late models with the easy pull clutch.