Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Grips vs Heat Demon

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010 | 12:32 PM
bberck
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Heated Grips vs Heat Demon

Looking at either adding heated grips or the Heat Demon to my existing grips.

Harley says the heated grips are not compatible with internally wired handle bars. Why is this and is it true, I know Harley says alot of things that arent true LOL

Anyone used the Heat Demon heaters and how well do they work.

Old 02-01-2010 | 03:05 PM
fjm3rd
Tourer

Get the Heat Demons. Period Read how many people have problems with the HD Grips. I have the Heat Demons, installed them my self no problem. The suckers get hot. there are 4 settings and I usually use the 3rd setting. When the temps fall below 35-40 I might use the 4th setting. I put a laser to them and the temp read around 120 degrees and that was when it was cold in the garage. The way the system installs on the bars no one notices that you have heated grips cause you can use your own grips. I reccommend them over the Harley Grips. Plus there alot cheaper.

Old 02-02-2010 | 09:42 PM
ASPHALT WARRIOR
Cruiser
Default grips vs gloves

ok i am a bit lost is heated grips as good as heated gloves ? what are the pros and cons

Old 02-02-2010 | 10:19 PM
bberck
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ASPHALT WARRIOR
ok i am a bit lost is heated grips as good as heated gloves ? what are the pros and cons
I have small hands so the heated gloves are to bulky for me. Also dont have to worry about having the gloves with you all the time.

Old 02-02-2010 | 10:43 PM
ASPHALT WARRIOR
Cruiser

real good point ..but they do keep ur hands warm ? what about the outer part of ur fingers or does it keep em warm enough i know i sound dumb but i might go out n get some asap i need something like that

Old 02-03-2010 | 11:45 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

Very reasonable question. I have a heat steering wheel in my car and it feels great but I'm not in the wind like on a bike.

If the gloves are lighter weight I would think the heat would penetrate quicker than a heavy glove, but so would the wind.

I've ridden with heated gloves for years but heated grips sound great (especially the Demons which permit you to keep your existing grips) if they really are effective.

Anyone out there who has experience with heated grips and gloves and can weigh in with the pros and cons of each?

Originally Posted by ASPHALT WARRIOR
real good point ..but they do keep ur hands warm ? what about the outer part of ur fingers or does it keep em warm enough i know i sound dumb but i might go out n get some asap i need something like that

Old 02-03-2010 | 12:13 PM
fjm3rd
Tourer

I don't have experiance with the heated gloves. But when I installed the heat demons the temp was around 50 to 60 outside and I went out for a short ride at night with out any gloves just to try them out and they kept my hands fairly warm. I had to have the setting at 2 I believe. You can't keep your hands on the grips at full setting there to hot without gloves. The heat sort of radiates thru your fingers. Even with thermax lined winter gloves I can feel the heat come thru real good at the 4th setting which is the highest. It take them about 5-10 minutes to get to there temp. Just last week I was out and the temp was in the mid 20's after thinking about it I shouldn't of been out there. But at 65mph I had them on full blast with my insulated gloves which wern't as insulated as much as the big gauntlet gloves I have and I could feel the cold on the outside of my hand but then again it was really cold and I could of used warmer gloves. I'd say the Heat Demons are good till about the mid 30's with half decent gloves.

Old 02-03-2010 | 12:45 PM
dyna rider
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Default Heated Grips vs Heated Gloves

The complaints I've heard about the grips is that they leave the backside of you hands cold even with gloves. The gloves are bulky but heat your hands all around. I have the gloves and the jacket liner and while I don't ride in the 20-30 degree range (you would need heated pants for that) I am completely satisfied with what I have. Some of the best roads in this area are up to 6000 feet in elevation and it can get cold even in the summer. The highway that goes through the Smokies is 441 is a prime example of this. I have a Saraceni bag that stays on the handle bars if I'm out exploring roads and it always has the liner and gloves stashed inside along with my rain gear.

Old 02-03-2010 | 01:33 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member

I never heard of Heat Demons before reading this thread . So , I went to their web site . They look like a really nice product , something I might consider . Let us know how they work , if you get them .

Old 02-04-2010 | 11:05 AM
fjm3rd
Tourer

Originally Posted by jaysonL
I never heard of Heat Demons before reading this thread . So , I went to their web site . They look like a really nice product , something I might consider . Let us know how they work , if you get them .
Look at comments above

Quick Reply: Heated Grips vs Heat Demon