Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruising Speed on SB

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:57 PM
harlista01
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cruising Speed on SB

So, today, I put 3K miles since I started riding in March. As I went for a 200 mile ride today, I realized that I truly enjoy my SB when I cruise between 60 and 65 mphs. I realized that any higher speeds I am fighting with the wind. Granted I will only cruise at this speed when there is no traffic where I am going. What do you guys like for cruising speed?
Mine is an 09 SB, stock except for the exhaust and some decor here and there.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
FitZoner
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I went to Lavapalooza - a ride to the Idaho hot tub mecca organized by the Ogden Ut Harley dealer. Couldn't stay the night with the 200 or more bikes we rode up with.

On the ride home with 3 of my buddies, we cruised between 95 - 110 mph all the way to the Utah border. Neck got a little sore, but would have to say it is my new fav cruising speed.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 PM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

i really like 70 as a relaxing cruising speen. But when i want to get somewhere and don't want to wast time i cruize at 80 comfortably.

Around here i don't have the opportunity to try cruizing above 85. But would love to find out waht that is like.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 PM
harlista01
Tourer

The max I have cruised at has been 105 mph for about 10 minutes. I am not sure if that counts but I had every part of my body and brain concentrated of making sure I wasn't going to fly off the road. (I cruised at that speed on a toll road that takes me in town, its pretty much a straight shot).

Old 01-31-2010, 11:49 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

With the cops having nothing to do out here in po-dunk I don't go more then 5 over the speed limit. I got pulled over for 7 over in a GOV vehicle a few weeks ago. 70 is good though cause the bike chills in 6th and doesn't bog. I've cruise 80 and that wasn't too bad, but I had my roll bag on the bars, so didn't have much wind turbulence.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

70 feels pretty good to me. I came off a Ninja so I was able to tuck on it and rock 100+ pretty easy and comfy. However, much over that and it felt like I was really pushing it.

I've only had my bob up to 90 or so, didn't feel unstable or anything, but it takes a stretch to get there and I don't want to go to jail so I keep it as it is...a cruiser.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Vinsil
70 feels pretty good to me. I came off a Ninja so I was able to tuck on it and rock 100+ pretty easy and comfy. However, much over that and it felt like I was really pushing it.

I've only had my bob up to 90 or so, didn't feel unstable or anything, but it takes a stretch to get there and I don't want to go to jail so I keep it as it is...a cruiser.

Takes a stretch to get there?? Mine gets there pretty quick. I've hit 115 on a back road once (curiosity) and my bike got there fast, just really windy!! Being wide open to wind like hits the nerves a little, probably won't do it again. It's not as comfortable as my R6 in the young and dumb days at high speeds!! If you're comparing it to your Ninja, then I can understand.

Last edited by JaronB; 02-01-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:34 AM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

Don't get me wrong, it gets there faster than my Camry, but nothing like the Ninja so I guess it seems normal (not slow) to me. It is not a fast bike and my riding position makes it feel faster than it is. (Apes, forwards, no wind protection).

I do enjoy it more than the jap bike. I also...plan on some more horses, deeper gearing to get that rush back too. (Cams, head work..30T pulley and clutch)

Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Yea I re-read you post and it clicked this time! I edited the last, guess I didn't get in time. Oh well, it's time for bed!!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

No worries at all man. This is my Friday, been a horrible week for me and I'm half drunk. I had to read it a few times to make sure I didn't just straight drunk post it.

I would NEVER go back to my Ninja. I LOVE my bob so much more....but I really want like 20 bikes.

You know.

Quick Reply: Cruising Speed on SB