Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Install HD SmartSecurity System 2010 Super Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:35 PM
bikersully
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Self Install HD SmartSecurity System 2010 Super Glide

I purchased the Harley security system and was thinking to save a few dollars and installing it myself and then have the dealer marry the key fobs. Is this possible or will the bike be totally disabled until the dealer does the setup? I thought I read somewhere in the forums all I need to do is setup the manual disarming procedure and I can use the bike by disarming the security system through the turn signals. Has anyone done this before?

Last edited by bikersully; 02-01-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:57 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This might help you......... If not, try doing another "search" of the HD Forums. I know I've seen others posting as to the install.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...it-w-pics.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...stall-faq.html

Last edited by LWOS; 02-01-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 AM
bikersully
Advanced

Wow, it seems like after every step in the setup process you have to wait 10 minutes. That can really add up in hourly rate you pay for service.

Attached Thumbnails Self Install HD SmartSecurity System 2010 Super Glide-marryingnewtsm.jpg  
Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

I was doing research last week on the security system. I was considering having it installed and wanted to read as much as I could before I decided to buy or not.... and ran across those threads.

I have a wonderful rapport with my dealer....and they've taken exceptional care of both of our bikes. I value their expertise and professionalism so when I decided to buy, I called them and told them to "take care of it for me". I get a 20% discount off all parts which almost makes up for labor costs....and I pay no shipping fees.
I had the Smart Security Siren II system WITH optional pager installed last Thursday and was charged 1/2 hour labor. They tested it, programed my optional pager AND key fobs and made sure it works together with the original factory installed silent security ( lights flashing) system.
Sometimes trying to save money by doing it yourself, really ends up costing you more either in time, headaches or problems. When it comes to Electrical, I let our HD mechanics with experience, know how & tools do the work. For the $40. in labor fees I paid, it's well worth knowing it was done correctly and I dont have to fool with anything.

Last edited by LWOS; 02-01-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:12 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

BTW.......which system did you buy.......the Silent Security System or the Siren Security System??? I forgot to ask. I had the silent system factory installed and just added the Siren System.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
bikersully
Advanced

I purchased theSilent Security System. I figured I could add the siren later.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

You're right. You can always add it later. The reason I got the siren, was we're planning on doing a lot of traveling, and we dont "camp". We prefer a soft bed and warm shower after a long day's riding. With havin to leave bikes in a motel parking lot, you might be assigned a room where you cant see your bike. Knowing if anyone tries to move or fiddle with my bike, everyone be able to hear the siren going off. With the silent system, all that does is flash the lights and shut off the fuel supply.....but the bike can be lifted by a couple of guys, thrown into a truck and adios. With the Siren system, they cant do that. Even if they manage to remove a fuse or cut the battery cable, the siren will still go off... as it has a self contained & rechargable battery. As far as I know, you have to have the basic security system installed before you can add the Siren. But for $90..... the siren is a good investment. BTW...... be sure to call your bike insurance company and tell them you have a security system......you may quailfy for additional discounts!!! We did.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:47 PM
bikersully
Advanced

I successfully installed the security system and married the TSSM module to the bike using the following steps found here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-mo...stall-faq.html

The physical installation took 10 minutes. It is the marrying of the TSSM module to the bike process that takes the most time. Overall a very easy process. Now off to the dealer to get the key fobs programmed.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the post and link, Sully. I've been considering this since I have the security on my 09 FLHTC. Knew I'd need someone with the Electrical Diagnostic manual to tell me the instructions (in the link you posted). But I didn't realize that I'd STILL have to have the dealer marry up the fobs.

Think I'll talk to them next time I go by and see what they'd charge for the whole thing. 1/2 hour of my time waiting for the next programming step is worth something so I might just pay them to do the whole deal.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2010, 01:50 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

I have a factory installed silent security system on my 2007 Low Rider. I decided to do the audible Siren II system with pager installed last month. My dealer charged me an hours labor to do it and set up the pager along with the fobs. To me.... it's well worth the cost. They know what they're doing......and you know how anything electrical can be a pain in the tush. Do something wrong, you blow a fuse or cross wires or pinch something putting it all back. Plus, if something goes wrong......they have to fix it.
Mine was in storage at the dealership anyway......so for me, it was just a phone call, and OK to do it and my credit card #'s.

Quick Reply: Self Install HD SmartSecurity System 2010 Super Glide