Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is getting rediculous

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Psycho
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is getting rediculous

I've now busted two of the windshield clamps on my 06 super glide. First one I took back to the stealership, and they begrudgingly warrantied it. The little smartass parts dude meanwhile gave me very specific directions on how to remove and replace the windshield vewy vewy carefuwwy, so as not to break the clamps. A**wipe acted like I'd busted it or something. Looked like he was probably s**tting green last time I built a panhead. Fact is, it just fell apart going down the road, and damn near put the windshield in my chest. Can you say lawsuit three times fast??

Anyway, I told him to quit insulting me, and get me a damned clamp, which he did. Three weeks later, I've got another one busted. Got to take it back and see what the a**wipe says this time.

I'm almost scared to use the stock windshield now. Paid damn near 400 bucks for it with tax, and scared of it. I've got family about four hours from here, and it's a nice ride on the weekends with a windshield, without one it just wears you out. This windshield thing is pissing me off.

They've both broken in the exact same spot, and it appears to be a casting flaw in the cheap a** crappy cast steel they're using (appears to be mashed beer cans).

Anybody else have or hear of this problem, or possibly know how to go further up the chain of command with it???

Old 07-23-2006, 02:51 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: This is getting rediculous

Look in your owner's manual and find the number to the HD warranty rep. Give them a call and see what they can do.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Psycho

I've now busted two of the windshield clamps on my 06 super glide. First one I took back to the stealership, and they begrudgingly warrantied it. The little smartass parts dude meanwhile gave me very specific directions on how to remove and replace the windshield vewy vewy carefuwwy, so as not to break the clamps. A**wipe acted like I'd busted it or something. Looked like he was probably s**tting green last time I built a panhead. Fact is, it just fell apart going down the road, and damn near put the windshield in my chest. Can you say lawsuit three times fast??

Anyway, I told him to quit insulting me, and get me a damned clamp, which he did. Three weeks later, I've got another one busted. Got to take it back and see what the a**wipe says this time.

I'm almost scared to use the stock windshield now. Paid damn near 400 bucks for it with tax, and scared of it. I've got family about four hours from here, and it's a nice ride on the weekends with a windshield, without one it just wears you out. This windshield thing is pissing me off.

They've both broken in the exact same spot, and it appears to be a casting flaw in the cheap a** crappy cast steel they're using (appears to be mashed beer cans).

Anybody else have or hear of this problem, or possibly know how to go further up the chain of command with it???

Is this a quick release windsheild? Just want to know if I need to watch out for something with mine.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Foxxx
5th Gear

I also broke one on my quick release windshield ('06 DYNA). Just got the replacement the other day, and have only used it for 10 miles, no problem yet. Hope it doesn't happen again, I just happened to notice the first time before I got up any speed - I wouldn't want it to break at highway speeds.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:24 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: Psycho

Take them all back and tell them you want a new set.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear the windshield problems.

I've had mine for almost a year, ridden about 10K miles witht his windshield and never had a problem. I've taken it on and off at least 30-40 times.

Hmmmm.

Hope it works out this time.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:07 AM
ronster
Road Master

makes me wonder if i want the w/s now.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:39 AM
rogue_rob
Tourer

Never had a problem with my quick detach windshield. I've had it on a couple of 500 mile trips. It's tight as mouse pu$$y.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it a quick release?

One of the clamps on mine was defective when I got the windshield, but the repaclement clamp looks fine.

When did it break? The first time install on the bike or ehen riding down the road?

The instructions on mine say to make sure the clamps are aligned properly or the clamps will break.

Sammi

Old 07-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my low profile quick release on over 6000 miles and used mostly on the interstate at high speeds, 75-85. Had it on and off several times during clean ups plus i know the dealer takes it on and off when they think they need to. No problems at all, wouldn't give it up. Really big difference in riding comfort. I did notice that it's easy to put it on not quite straight, one side up a little higer than the other or one side out a hair further than the other. I'm careful to line it up good as i'm sure you are too. The dealer put it on just a hair crocked once, i could feel the diffence on the front end wondering some, got it home, straighted it and all was well.

Quick Reply: This is getting rediculous