Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is getting rediculous

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 02:27 PM
jt1965
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This is getting rediculous

I have the standard height on my lowrider and luckily I have not had any problems with mine either.
The only buffeting I get is from underneath.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:45 PM
aknoxrFXST
Tourer

I bought my detachable windshield new with my bike 50 FXST 18K ago. Since then i have busted 5 of those damn clamps, My dealership has warrentied all of them. But the funniest part is last time the left one was broke so i took off my windshield and took in my bike and they replaced it. I never put my windshield back on and 10 days later( 900 miles) I went back in with another one broke and the tech said that they were both broke and i never even put on my windshield. It is nice that my dealership keeps replacing them but i would rather them not break. sooner or later they will complain about replacing them. frustrated. [sm=boosign.gif] They thought someone was malicously breaking them, I told them that the part was crap. Is there an aftermarket supplier for this bottom turn signal relocate/detachable windshield clamp?

Old 08-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, the way I use the windshield now is to put it on as though it were a new installation, i.e., clamps loose on windshield, carefull clamp closed, then tighten clamp to windshield.

No problems so far. Used it on an all-day ride last weekend and noticed a marked improvement in the buffetting.

If the same clamp is consistently breaking, it could be that it's a little out of alignment.

Sammi

Old 08-16-2006, 04:15 PM
92XLH
Advanced

I have the quick release compact on an 06 Street Bob and one of the clamps broke as I was putting the shield on. The dealer replaced the clamp with no hassle. Now, I have noticed that there are bubbles under the chrome of the replacement clamp so I am going to take it back because it will eventually lift and look bad. We will see how this one goes. It appears to be just bad quality control with the clamps. The one that broke seemed to have a small void in the casting.

I am convinced that one has to be very careful in attaching the shield to be sure alingment is right and that the clamps are squarely perpendicular to the fork tubes. If it is out of square, it overstresses the clamps, and that casting won't take much stress.

I am leaving tomorrow for a trip of a couple thousand miles to Montana and Glacier Park so I hope this thing holds together.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: 92XLH

I have the quick release compact on an 06 Street Bob and one of the clamps broke as I was putting the shield on. The dealer replaced the clamp with no hassle. Now, I have noticed that there are bubbles under the chrome of the replacement clamp so I am going to take it back because it will eventually lift and look bad. We will see how this one goes. It appears to be just bad quality control with the clamps. The one that broke seemed to have a small void in the casting.

I am convinced that one has to be very careful in attaching the shield to be sure alingment is right and that the clamps are squarely perpendicular to the fork tubes. If it is out of square, it overstresses the clamps, and that casting won't take much stress.

I am leaving tomorrow for a trip of a couple thousand miles to Montana and Glacier Park so I hope this thing holds together.
I think you hit the nail on the head. If it's out of square it will break.

Sammi

Old 08-17-2006, 03:45 AM
jkenosh
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had no problems with mine but the buffeting sucks

Old 08-17-2006, 09:34 AM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my quick-detach windshield for my low-rider, I had a clamp break in two the first time I installed it. The metal casting literally snapped inside the mechanism (where the mechanical advantage puts stress on the metal). The dealer replaced it and the new one is fine, but it had me thinking of "what would happen if it broke at highway speed"?

I also find a lot of buffeting at highway speeds - thought I was going nuts. I used to ride metric bikes 20+ years ago, and always had a windshield or fairing - and never had this kind of buffeting. But I like the look of the HD windshield. Just wished it was a little more aerodynamic.