Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is getting rediculous

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 03:50 AM
WildBill76
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This is getting rediculous

I almost bought a quick release windshield. I am glad I did not now. Good metal is hard to find. Most steel is comming from China. It is nearly impossible to buy American Steel. Same for Oil. Our American Oil gets shipped elsewhere. Good Luck with your clamps. You will probably have to check them yourself before you leave your dealer.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:56 AM
grape ape
Tourer

I have the quick release super sport W/S on my Street Bob. I haven't had any problems with the clamps at all and I've had it on and off several times. However, I did lose one of the chrome acorn nuts early on before I realized that all six of them were loose. [sm=ummmmokay.gif] Hubby mounted the quick clamps for me and put the W/S on the bike the first time and didn't even check the six acorn nuts that mount the vertical brackets to the W/S. His excuse? "That part was already pre-assembled." [sm=icon_beat.gif]

Can't get too mad -- my bike, my responsibility, but geeeesch.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spectrexx

The standard way to adjust an average windshield is to set the top level with your nose. I adjust mine that way and it works perfectly. The wind goes right over my head. I put some homemade lowers on the bike which eliminated the updraft from hitting me in the face. They extend from 4 inches below the turn signals (on the lower tree) to 3 inches above, where they meet the bottom of the windshield. All parts I set up as quick release, using thumbscrews and ball-lock pins.
I've had my Quick Release Compact for a few months and had it off/on many times with no clamp problems. I do get a lot of buffeting and would like to see a picture of your lowers. I'd really like to build a set.

As for adjusting the position of the clamps. Mine won't adjust. They fit in one spot only as there is no room to move them up or down. How do you adjust yours?

Jim

Old 07-27-2006, 01:38 AM
hep0950
Tourer

Just bought an '06 FXD35 that had a detachable windshield on it and noticed the lower left clamp loose. Got the service guy to look at it and I noticed the clamp was busted. Am now waiting on another windshield.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:42 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for adjusting the position of the clamps. Mine won't adjust. They fit in one spot only as there is no room to move them up or down. How do you adjust yours?
There's about and inch and a half, two inches on the upper fork to place the clamps. Just place it on, and slide up or down where you want it, then clamp 'er down.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:34 AM
ss377
Road Captain

I have the HD quick release windshield on my bob. When I put it on, I hand tightened the mounting bolts then clamped it to the forks and then tightened the bolts. Have had it for 8K plus miles and have taken it on and off dozens of times. Had to get a couple of inserts and super glue them in, but that's all the problems I've had. Also the first time I rode at night, had to stop and readjust the height. There was too much glare from the head light.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: AZ Rider

There's about and inch and a half, two inches on the upper fork to place the clamps. Just place it on, and slide up or down where you want it, then clamp 'er down.
Not on mine. There is just room for the clamps on the upper fork. No room to slide up or down. Must be either a different windshield or the forks on a '03 FXDL are different.

Thanks for the info,
Jim

Old 07-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, got my replacement clamp and installed per instructions: clamps to windshield hand tight, mount to forks, make sure clamps are aligned properly, close clamps to forks (starting with bottom clamps), tighten clamps to windshield.

All went well, took a ride, came back, undid clamps, repositioned windshield a little higher on forks, closed clamps AND ONE OF THE BASTARDS BROKE. I expect that it broke because the angle to the fork was different.

To make things worse, the test ride I took was not that great. I expected a smoother ride on the highway, but the buffetting was as bad as without the windshield.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but what exactly is the benefit of the windshield?

It's the standard height HD windshield p/n 58346-06.

Disgusted SammiÞ

Old 07-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Psycho
Road Master

Those clamps are just too damned fragile, but if you have them, the only thing you can do is be careful with them. When you clamp them on, don't let the levers "snap". But your fingers on both sides of the lever, and ease it in gently, rather than just pushing it till it "pop's" into place.

While I hate to see others having trouble, it's still good to know, I'm not the only one. If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the aftermarket windsheild, instead of the HD product.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:08 PM
johnpiech
Cruiser

I'm about to install mine. I would guess the way to install it is to loosely tighten the clamps to the windshield, clamp the clamps to the forks - and then tighten the bolts?

Quick Reply: This is getting rediculous