Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is getting rediculous

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: This is getting rediculous

And yet another reason to buy aftermarket..... I have the Memphis Shades windshield on my Dyna and it works great! It's also very stable when riding at 135+ mph... no buffeting at all.

I'd have them replace the entire assembly or give you your money back. If not, tell them you will be reporting them to the BBB, FTC, and your local attorney general's office. That should get them to do something. It's probably another imported peice of crap with the HD logo on it. I'll NEVER buy HD accessories! 80% of it is garbage. What happened to the days when Harley put their customers' need first? Now all they care about is lining their pockets selling junk.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:44 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If not, tell them you will be reporting them to the BBB, FTC, and your local attorney general's office. That should get them to do something.
Not to hijack the thread but... Once you escalate an issue to a government agency (small claims court, attorney general, etc.), the BBB won't touch it. If you're at the point where the dealer absolutely won't stand behind the HD product or they otherwise refuse to resolve the issue to your satisfaction, you should first contact Harley corporate (the number is in the owner's manual). If that doesn't work, then file a complaint with the BBB. If that doesn't work, then off to court ya' go. In most cases, Harley customer service or the BBB will be enough to get the issue resolved.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:49 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Had my low profile quick release on over 6000 miles and used mostly on the interstate at high speeds, 75-85. Had it on and off several times during clean ups plus i know the dealer takes it on and off when they think they need to. No problems at all, wouldn't give it up. Really big difference in riding comfort. I did notice that it's easy to put it on not quite straight, one side up a little higer than the other or one side out a hair further than the other. I'm careful to line it up good as i'm sure you are too. The dealer put it on just a hair crocked once, i could feel the difference on the front end wondering some, got it home, straighted it and all was well.
What is your secret? I'm 5'6" and have tried both the standard height and low profile quick detach windshields and at 65+mph, the buffeting still has me seeing double. The low profile windshield is definitely better but still not comfortable enough that I would want to put up with the buffeting for a day ride. For now, I've given up and am running my Low Rider nekkid - looks better and no buffeting - just clean wind blast but I'd like at least a little weather protection. (I also wear a Shoei J-Wing helmet.)

Signed,
DoubleVision at 65 mph

Old 07-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer

ORIGINAL: TowJam
What is your secret? I'm 5'6" and have tried both the standard height and low profile quick detach windshields and at 65+mph, the buffeting still has me seeing double. The low profile windshield is definitely better but still not comfortable enough that I would want to put up with the buffeting for a day ride. For now, I've given up and am running my Low Rider nekkid - looks better and no buffeting - just clean wind blast but I'd like at least a little weather protection. (I also wear a Shoei J-Wing helmet.)

Signed,
DoubleVision at 65 mph
Simple, buy an aftermarket windshield. Harley's recent windshield designs are notorious for buffeting.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer

ORIGINAL: TowJam

If not, tell them you will be reporting them to the BBB, FTC, and your local attorney general's office. That should get them to do something.
Not to hijack the thread but... Once you escalate an issue to a government agency (small claims court, attorney general, etc.), the BBB won't touch it. If you're at the point where the dealer absolutely won't stand behind the HD product or they otherwise refuse to resolve the issue to your satisfaction, you should first contact Harley corporate (the number is in the owner's manual). If that doesn't work, then file a complaint with the BBB. If that doesn't work, then off to court ya' go. In most cases, Harley customer service or the BBB will be enough to get the issue resolved.
You must have misunderstood what I was saying. When I mentioned my procedure in dealing with a problem, I am already assuming that you went through the stealer and the MoCo first. Those are naturally the first steps to take. Common sense.....

I've been dealing with these type of issues for years, and I always do it the same way. 98% of the time, just mentioning to the store manager that you are reporting them will make them change their tune very quickly. It's worked everytime so far, at least for me. Just by informing the FTC or AG office is not "escalating" anything. You are just making them aware of the situation, and then if other means don't work, they will be better prepared to deal with it when you go back to them. The BBB will still investigate your complaint. You don't have to tell them that you reported to other agencies, anyway. Like I said, it's always worked for me, so I see no reason to change my methods.

The best solution is just not to deal with the stealerships unless you are getting FREE warranty work done. They don't usually want to see you again anyway, unless you are there to spend more money.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No real secret, i'm 5'6 to 5'7 myself. I moved it up and down the triple tree till i found a good spot, which is at the top. I see over it and the winds for the most part go over my head. Down an inch am i'm blasted head on. For awhile i lowered it, more to keep the bugs off the bike than me. I did a run to the neighboring town, 180 mile round trip and thought my neck was going to come off so i raise it back. I still get up draft but it doesn't seem all the bad to me. After reading a lot on here about updrafts i wondered if it was me that thought it wasn't that bad or what since i really can't compare to riding other bikes. i've also wondered if the bag that i have under my headlight is stopping some of the updraft but have never taken the time to take it off and see. I use the Carbon Fiber half, i don't have the chin strap all that tight and it's fine at highway speeds. Like i mentioned before, i'm dumb enough that i'm normally at 80 and i've been known to do more regularly. It's an HD smoked low profile i got in sept 05 when my 06 came in. Don't have the answers.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:33 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

My experience has been the same as Keith's. The detacheable windshield has been superb. I get zero buffeting. There's about two inches of play up and down the fork and I just found a good spot. I get a nice scalp massage from the wind.

I wear a half helmet or no helmet at all. I know the Shoei J-Wing helmet is a face shield style helmet but I have found that riding with a full face significantly increases buffeting for me. I stopped using full faces long ago but man, they always made my head bob around no matter what. I know the Shoei J-Wing helmet is different because it doesn't have the chinbar. Maybe try going with a half and see what happens. Sounds crazy but for me, it made all the difference in the world.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer

The standard way to adjust an average windshield is to set the top level with your nose. I adjust mine that way and it works perfectly. The wind goes right over my head. I put some homemade lowers on the bike which eliminated the updraft from hitting me in the face. They extend from 4 inches below the turn signals (on the lower tree) to 3 inches above, where they meet the bottom of the windshield. All parts I set up as quick release, using thumbscrews and ball-lock pins.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:58 AM
3dynaP
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got any pictures of the lowers? Sounds interesting.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:09 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Spectrexx
Could ya show us some photos. Please

Quick Reply: This is getting rediculous